Magic Vinyl goes digital

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
Magic Vinyl said:
First and foremost let us, as a collective label, send our regards and thanks to everyone that has been there in support of Magic Vinyl. Also, to all that have contributed to Magic Vinyl up to this point. Without you there would not be a Magic Vinyl.

Magic Vinyl would also like to thank the artists that have contributed such wonderful material for us to release. Alas, we must apologize, to these producers, for the current circumstances that are beyond our control.

Magic Vinyl Records will not, at this point, exist in the format that it's held up until now. Due to unforeseen circumstances we will now become an MP3 label, released solely through www.beatport.com . We will host past releases, for producers that grant us permission, as well as all future releases from this point, until further notice. At this point, MP3 releases will be all that is available. We apologize for any inconvienence, and sincerely hope that you will continue to support MV in the future.

The Magic Vinyl crew will now be concentrating mainly on production. We'll all be in the workshops building up the beats for future material to be released. At this point Magic Vinyl has lost a lot of trust in the Industry, and would like to step back a step. With this step back we're going to concentrate on the music and find the enjoyment that is Drum n Bass. Concentrate on the enjoyment of the music without the hassle of the business side of things.

In the future, there may be another shift in tactics. We may go back to selling vinyl, or other formats if it's right, but for now, we see that Beatport, and MP3's will be the best option to keep from losing the label completely.

We hope everybody understands and continues to support the label, now and in the future.
Big up the MV crew (y)

Looks like the digital nation is finally here. I can see alot labels going this way very soon due to distie's collapsing & the ever growing overheads that come with pressing vinyl. It's a real shame that this is happening as so many great underground labels feel the full force of been swiped to one side. I tell you man if I one the lottery one thing I would be doing is setting a distribution outlet for all things good in d&b. Looks like a cd deck might have to be bought soon

That sucks. MV is a great label. I have several releases off the label. But I will not buy mp3s. I don't like mixing with cds, and I don't like mp3 sound quality. I hate to say it, but that's the end of my business relationship with them, unless they go back to vinyl.

Jerel said:
That sucks. MV is a great label. I have several releases off the label. But I will not buy mp3s. I don't like mixing with cds, and I don't like mp3 sound quality. I hate to say it, but that's the end of my business relationship with them, unless they go back to vinyl.

ive gotta second that.sorry MV :rinsed:

bad ace inc. said:
ive gotta second that.sorry MV :rinsed:
Their stuff wasn't exactly my cup of tea anyway but I'm not down with buying mp3 either, there's nothing i can do with them really and i'm damned if i'm saving up 800 squid for a cd deck that's shite in comparison with a vinyl turntable less than half the price

That's a real shame. As Serum said, CD decks are way too expensive & I don't even know how to mix on them! That new Numark CD dek is crazy tho, it's huge for a CD player, & has a proper vinyl on top to scratch etc!

Yeah. Technics has a slammin one. I think it costs like $1300 per deck.

Buying mp3's doesn't seem right but if that were the only way to get tunes then people would do it... or it could kill dnb as a whole. Ive never spun CDs and don't like dj's who do unless they're droppin dubs that they produced or got directly from a couple of friends. Its stupid howthings are getting. "The times are bad" as my grandma always says.

the whole situation with MV really sucks, got most of there releases, really feeling there stuff but the one problem with mp3 is once one person has bought the track its on soulseek an hour later. Im all up for paying the royalty but a lot of people wont bother, would the mp3 even be high enough quality to play out on something like final scratch ?

sorry but with jerel on this one, will never pay for mp3's will wait til they get back to vinyl, if they do that is

it sucks that it has to come like this but its better than losing it all together. ive recently bought a pioneer cdj800 mostly for my own tunes and my mates to play in mixes and stuff. ive started getting into buying tracks off the net too (itunes, beatport etc) and its not as bad as you think. maybe the quality isnt top notch but i dont really notice the difference, unless your a proper audiophile i dont think it matters.

who can really say if you couldnt see the dj booth in a club you could tell if it was cd or vinyl, i couldnt!

....and its saved me loads of cash too. :slayer:

Last edited:
It's a sad day to read a thread such as this:
Magic Vinyl, I want to thank you for putting out some great tunes, it's unfortunate that the shit went down, still remember, the pheonix arises from the ashes... Good luck guys, I expect some serious banging tunes from your camp int he near future.

MP3's... hmmm I fought for many years upon the introduction of the cd, to "save the vinyl", thankfully the whole dj culture blew up and everything seemed to turn around. However, with the expansion of drum n bass to a global scale, the swapping of tunes via the web has seen the demise of the very sexy dubplate to the rise of the humble cd... is this the end of djing as we know it?
My first response to this question was hell no! however I do now feel that things are changing in favour of the cd. Considering most of the producers who play on the circuit, whom I want to see are rockin' the cdj mixes and not even incorporating vinyl. it's easier in many ways, it makes sense... though I cant help but think this is the slow decline of dj culture as we knew it?
what are your views on this?

I think it may be the end of vinyl based djing. That saddens me though. Spinning cd's just isn't the same as having that vinyl in hand. But, as you say, cost is a big factor. So is ease of carrying (we all know vinyl is HEAVY). You can fit an entire set on two cds. Now there's even a lack of worldwide distrubution houses. Could very well be the end of vinyl.
:end_of_wo

Do remember that Beatport also do other formats, such as MP4, and you can get a fairly high quality level with MP4, as it's ISO MPEG... Have to see how they do it though.

If they released releases in FLAC then that'd be ubercool :D

Back
Top Bottom