Made the switch - Digital -> Hardware

elmaruk

slannndaaaaaaar
VIP Junglist
Been wanting to pick up a hard synth for a while now.

Was In the local music store the other day trying out the synths and found out they do a 0% 9 Month finance.

Sooo I walked out the store with a hard synth.

Best thing I've ever done, would recommend it to anyone!

Last edited:
Looks pretty cool. Is there any way you could post a vid and show us how your new toy works?

I'd love to mate but as it stands i'm still figuring out what this thing can do.

Been wanting to pick up a hard synth for a while now.

Was In the local music store the other day trying out the synths and found out they do a 0% 9 Month finance.

Sooo I walked out the store with a Novation Ultranova.

Best thing I've ever done, would recommend it to anyone!

Is this in Bristol? Whats the name of the store, might have to check it out myself

Is this in Bristol? Whats the name of the store, might have to check it out myself

PMT (no joke :P) - Professional Music Technology. It's opposite nelson house, right in the center, by the bus stops.

Anything over £300 you have 9 months to pay it back at 0%

It's really good in there, they have synths from £200 to in the thousands, all hooked up for you to try out.

Let me know if ya pay a visit.

Last edited:
haha that was quick dude, whats the key improvement over a soft synth youve found so far?
btw ignore the link I sent you an aim, took it down...

Well I haven't used it fully yet, only had it for a few days but so far;

Sound is definately tighter, doesn't sound as processed straight off the mark.

The bass, ooo the bass, very easy to get a phat sub with very little processing.

The preset sounds are good to go straight away.

The level of controll you have over your synth at your finger tips wth out having to set up automations or assign anything. Everythings already set to go so you often make some happy mistakes.

I feel much more creative when I'm making a sound, because I can't see it on the computer if you get me I'm purely going by what it sounds like to my ear.

I'll post up some tunes when I've learnt it.

PMT rocks! Got one here in Essex! Purchased my monitors from them about a month ago!

Yeah man for sure. What did you go for?

Dom, I also feel it's gonna speed up my work flow and CPU :P. Because I usually end up with 10+ instances of massive things can get pretty confusing and dull.

Also, I've always preffered working in audio, I find external effects always seem to sound better, as well as having more controll over them, compared to the effects most synths offer you.

I might just be making excuses to warrent spending that much :P only time will tell :)

I'd love to be able to play around with a hardware synth, would be epic fun... one day....

I've come to realise the sound massive gives is not very good compared with most other synths.

Last edited:
I've come to realise the sound massive gives is not very good compared with most other synths.

You can get some really nice sounds from massive, lots of people do. I just feel that their waves & wave tables arent as raw.

You can get some really nice sounds from massive, lots of people do. I just feel that their waves & wave tables arent as raw.

Yeah, overall the massive sound is a bit dull and muffled IMO. Only wavetable I like is the kanga one (for bass sounds). But massive is so easy to use that I find myself using it in every single track!

PMT (no joke :P) - Professional Music Technology. It's opposite nelson house, right in the center, by the bus stops.

Anything over £300 you have 9 months to pay it back at 0%

It's really good in there, they have synths from £200 to in the thousands, all hooked up for you to try out.

Let me know if ya pay a visit.

I always go by it in the bus back from uni but always thought they only sold guitars and shit.. might check that out, its like a 5/10 min walk from where I live

I always go by it in the bus back from uni but always thought they only sold guitars and shit.. might check that out, its like a 5/10 min walk from where I live

Nah they have loads of stuff mate, lot's off synths/keyboards/effects. got a couple of studio pc's set up too.

Hey elmaruk, glad you're happy with your new synth; Novation are pretty decent when it comes to synthesisers.

I usually go to Digital Village in Romford and I had never heard of PMT, so I might check them out if they have something that DV don't.

hardware is the way to go. ive got a 50/50 hardware software setup going and its amazing. the more you collect the better, i sample the shit out of it and never use a softsynth for anything. All the different ways you can hook up different gear is awesome. It is a addiction really but so worth it. Im deep in analog, pretty much all hardware i get is analog or got great converters that make a unique sound (emu sampler). i wanna get a tube distortion/compressor next but theyre so expensive.
good times

It just feels so much more creative.

It used to feel like a chor sat at computer trying to koax a good sound out of massive ect. With hardware it just makes it all fun again!

yeah its all fun. I will think of a new way to plug all my hardware in to create a new sound and that new sound will be the basis of a new tune, i hardly get a writers block because theyre will always be a new way of making a sound, its great.

Back
Top Bottom