Mackie mr8 mk2's humming

`Matt

My pair of these arrived in the post today :cool: however when theres no input going into them there a humming which increases the more you turn the volume up.
Am i right in thinking this is the amp or is it something else?

I using phono to phono cables, might be worth using something balneced like a phono to xlr?

I will try to replace that cable before to think it's the amp...
Also, the XLR is a bit better as its got a stronger mask for interferences.

EDIT: nice shopping btw... i was exactly thinking about those monitors as future investement... keep me updated on how they sounds! :)

I've got a pair and they're absolutely fine. I run them with XLRs as what's the point in spending the best part of a grand and not use the ultimate connection that they provide. If it hums with out any input cables connected the. Google "Ground loop". It's a common fault with loudspeakers that can be easily rectified.

Cheers for the replys. The phono is only a temp jobby anyway. Didnt think about a good loop isolator so ill give a go i imagen your right as unconnected they are fine.

They sound very nice the highs arent crystal clear is my only complaint i would say. Although i think thats more to do with the little hum coming though/how abused and now poor my hearing is.

It could be a ground loop. This happens when your mixer or audio interface or whatever you're running to them is plugged in at the same place. If they're plugged in to the same extension cable or wall socket this could well be the case. Try powering them from a different socket. You can also buy ground loop isolators. Give it a google. There's plenty of solutions.

Ah just read it the post properly. I got the hr8s so the amp will def be different.

Are you using MacBook? I ask because my mate who uses a MacBook picks up the hum from his laptop charger. Try and find a way to isolate the earth on either your computer or speakers.

Im using a laptop so there is a charger involed could be an issue maybe? I just tryed using a different plug socket and that made little to no difference. Ive got some new cables and a ground loop isolator in the post so ill give that a go them report back

Cheers for the sugestions once again

Also, disable wifi.

Ive seen a few people experience interference, then they disable their wireless adapter and s'all good.

Im using a laptop so there is a charger involed could be an issue maybe? I just tryed using a different plug socket and that made little to no difference. Ive got some new cables and a ground loop isolator in the post so ill give that a go them report back

Cheers for the sugestions once again

So if I'm understanding you right, you're going from your laptop to your monitors and that you're using a 2 RCA to 1 1/8" type connection? If this is the case, the hum is most likely due to the poor shielding/ungrounded nature associated with RCA connections. Because you're running sound directly from your laptop, your ideal solution (as previously mentioned) is to pickup a ground loop isolater until you can purchase an audio interface (at which point you can use balanced connections).

Cheers.

running from the laptop into a berry soundcard (proper shit) then using a phono lead into my monitors. Got some xlr's and a ground loop isolater in the post now so hopefully i should be able to sort it before the weekend.

1 you need an audio interface.

2 im drunk

3 i have the exact same speakers and im listening to some dope shit right now... as long as you have good cables and the foam isolators underneath the speakers, a proper audio interface and shit you should be covered. i hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom