mac vs pc

Indigo

ive been having trouble with my pc lately and im going to university in spetember ,
i think its time to move on and get a mac but theres a few points im unsure of thats stopping me from buying one

- the price for a mac pro is about £2000 (i can spend about £1200)
- the laptops and imacs are cheaper but wont be able to support my soundcard
- would it be best to carry on using ableton over logic? (i perfer using a linear way of producing without swapping the interface round)
- would i be able to run my copy of z3ta and massive?

ultimatey does everyone end up using a mac? (because i think now its the time i have the money to get one)
do you know any sites apart from ebay where i can find myself a second hand one?

at university im doing a audio design and production course and maybe they will be using macs?

the bottom line is ...
is there a way to run logic with my soundcard for under £1200
it would be nice to steer clear of a pc because you get carried away with all its junk

omg not one of these again.... Brah, its all about the workflow. My mate was so excited when he got a mac pro, talking endlessly about how logic will be so awesome. He ended up doing bootcamp on it and doing music on fruity with windows xp. But then again you'd be using the same program so the problem is not as big.

I just couldn't justify the cost/power relationship for apple products. Do you realize what kind of pc laptop you could get for 1200£?

And no, most people do not end up buying macs, it's not some 'evolutionary road of music production' to end up getting a mac... It's the same shit in a different package and price tag imo.

omg not one of these again.... Brah, its all about the workflow. My mate was so excited when he got a mac pro, talking endlessly about how logic will be so awesome. He ended up doing bootcamp on it and doing music on fruity with windows xp. But then again you'd be using the same program so the problem is not as big.

I just couldn't justify the cost/power relationship for apple products. Do you realize what kind of pc laptop you could get for 1200£?

And no, most people do not end up buying macs, it's not some 'evolutionary road of music production' to end up getting a mac... It's the same shit in a different package and price tag imo.

This!!!!

You realise £1200 will just get a Mac Pro as well, no monitor?

You could build the most almighty, future proof PC for £1200.

Agree with the last two posts. I like Macs, but I have never found a reson that justifies the price tag. The PC I have right now cost me about £450 and it runs anything I throw at it music wise no problems at all. (I'm using Cubase 5)

This will end up in such an argument.

I swear by macs, a lot of people swear by PC's. But buy whatever you like best, what other people use/think doesnt have anything to do with how you work at the end of the day.

I love my mac. Hav a Imac and a book, both of them run like a german steamtrain.

Personally I hate windows, every computer i have had has broke, crashed, blue screen of death, lost bios settings etc.

so mac for me :)

find a student on an apple endorsed corse and give them the money to buy it. I got logic pro 9 for 120quid

ive been having trouble with my pc lately and im going to university in spetember ,
i think its time to move on and get a mac but theres a few points im unsure of thats stopping me from buying one

- the price for a mac pro is about £2000 (i can spend about £1200)
- the laptops and imacs are cheaper but wont be able to support my soundcard
- would it be best to carry on using ableton over logic? (i perfer using a linear way of producing without swapping the interface round)
- would i be able to run my copy of z3ta and massive?

ultimatey does everyone end up using a mac? (because i think now its the time i have the money to get one)
do you know any sites apart from ebay where i can find myself a second hand one?

at university im doing a audio design and production course and maybe they will be using macs?

the bottom line is ...
is there a way to run logic with my soundcard for under £1200
it would be nice to steer clear of a pc because you get carried away with all its junk

Why wont your soundcard be able to run on an iBook or iMac or MacBook?? I don't understand what's holding you back?

I'd imagine they'll be using Macs at your Uni, I'd be VERY surprised if they were running PCs, just phone them up and ask them.
If you like ableton, carry on using Ableton - don't just get logic because you feel you have to. Although saying that, you can rewire Ableton through Logic, so the options there to use both in conjunction with each other.

Also, MacPro's are only really necessary if you're doing high end graphics work....
The cheapest iBook will run Logic (or any other DAW) without any issues.

Why wont your soundcard be able to run on an iBook or iMac or MacBook?? I don't understand what's holding you back?

its a pci m audio delta 1010tl and i cant open the laptop up to slot it in like a mac pro

i dont really want this thread to course an argument , even if i cant stop it already
a laptop (pc or mac) is no option due to the soundcard :(

What's an 'apple endorsed course' when it's at home then?

as far as i know all students can get logic pro 9 for 120. its just the apple student discount. if you buy a mac from them you can also get their 3 year guarantee for £50 - well worth it. so if indigo is gonna get a mac wait till you get to college or whatever and grab some discount.

its a pci m audio delta 1010tl and i cant open the laptop up to slot it in like a mac pro

i dont really want this thread to course an argument , even if i cant stop it already
a laptop (pc or mac) is no option due to the soundcard :(

So you'd rather spend £2000 to accomodate your soundcard, rather than £900ish on a 21" iMac and £200ish on a decent soundcard?

Seem illogical to me.

So you'd rather spend £2000 to accomodate your soundcard, rather than £900ish on a 21" iMac and £200ish on a decent soundcard?

Seem illogical to me.

I was thinking that too plus you could get money for your old card on ebay or something, I like mac's they just work. I've got a hacktintosh and use it for internet and e-mail music, but got a windows partition becuase I use FL Studio, but I'm experimenting with Logic and getting there so I'll probably end up getting a proper mac once I've got to grips with logic.

Back
Top Bottom