Mac pro or iMac ???

kieran t

Ok well this it something Iam really stuck on. In the past I've all ways thought the pro would b the better choice, however after actually concidering buying a mac I've asked friends and also when to the apple shop with my bank card ready to spend. After a lengthy chat with the very helpfull staff iam now even more stuck in the middle. When I watch dnb production vids they all have pros and I rarly see people with imacs why?

Now the apple staff came up with a good analogy, think of the pro as a Lamborghini and you live in the city ur never gonna be blue to open it up proper! Or you need a bottle of milk all you need to do is drive around the corner to get it the expecive Lamborghini will get u there just like the cheep regular car would.

So do I really need a mac pro over an iMac . Bare in mind I have got the money and I always go for the expensive stuff it's just the way iam take my dj set up for example I have to have cdj2000 and have to have djm2000 technics mk 5s I was the same when cdj1000 mk3s wher out and djm 800, only this time I don't want to waste money if its gonna b wasted iam not the computer expert I'd like to b

for music production id definately go for a mac pro.

a new imac will be able to handle a fair amount, but its all too easy to max out cpu if youve got some big ass plugins and reverbs. In my experience imacs harddrives seem to deteriorate a lot faster than mac pros - not that hard to replace/fix but still something to think about.

can someone please explain why Logic seems to warrant spending such a huge amount of money.

...just because you prefer a PC doesnt mean its for everyone. Logic is a big plus...the workflow is so nice n easy for me It's inbuilt plugins are of top quality and most vsts have an au equivalent now. Automation is intuitive easily editable etc. I've seen plenty of masterclass' with big name producers using macs (icicle, alix perez, vicious circle, chase and status) so i dont see why everyone is so anti mac.

Of course you get a lot more hardware for your money with a PC, but theres no denying that windows isnt that great as an operating system.

Last edited:
I've seen plenty of masterclass' with big name producers using macs (icicle, alix perez, vicious circle, chase and status)

this is true. but you also see plenty of master classes with big names using cubase, ableton, fl ect.

i just think there over rated, lots oof people seem to think you need this or that to make great music.

i read an interview with someone signed to hospital. he said he wanted to prove you dont need these monster pc's and hundreds of plugins, all he uses is cubase and a couple of plugins & makes great, pro music.

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

sorry to mess up your thread anyway kieran. i'd say go for the better of the two, it's better to future proof.

id stay away from an imac if I were you. not sure about the current generation ones but ive repaired so many imac's with drive and cpu failure its unreal and there a bitch to get apart. if I were you id buy a mac pro it will last you for years and years and you get server grade hardware which has incredible tolerances

^ what he said.

imacs are aimed at art students and shit like that who want to run photoshop and similar programs imo...
mac pros are real machines and I cant see you ever having any cpu/ram problems with one at all unless your trying to run multiple projects at the same time but i dont see why youd ever want to do that

No worries elmaruk lol
Think I will just go for the pro last thing I want is a chance of CPU overload/no enough power that's exactly what use to happen on the pcs I've had in the past very frustrating.

I'd say mac pro over an iMac if your going to get plenty of use out of it. Also easier to expand etc. But as others have said, theres no reason an iMac wouldn't do the trick.

As for the PC/Mac argument, Its old and boring and comes down to what you prefer to use, plenty of people have had successful results using both. I prefer Mac OS over windows, so I have a mac, if I preferred windows, I'd have a PC. Don't like Logic much and never have really, so that wasn't a deciding factor for me.

Don't buy something because "a big names" got one, buy what you like using and can get on well with. Its the outcome that matters, not what tools you use to get there. Some people can have computer rigs worth thousands and still make awful music, while others can have a battered old Dell and an old version of Cubase, and make hit records on it.

i would say PC, uless u can afford a MAC Pro,

But i am typing on a MAC Pro, i produce on it and i cant fault it, its mint, you get what y0u pay for, a mac is an investment, i have had a string of PCs that have gone balls up on me, and i spent alot of cash on my mac but at this stage it was worth every penny.

I just bought the 13 inch mac book pro that's normally £999 for £600 brand new off a mate that doesn't want it... oh yes! Picking it up tomorrow

others can have a battered old Dell and an old version of Cubase, and make hit records on it.

Me! :D But I kinda haven't got to the hit records part yet... :lol:

As for the topic, go for the pro if you can afford it for sure :) I'm not a massive mac fan but have access to them at school. I prefer windows personally and Logic is a cool program but it may not be the DAW for you! If you know you like Logic though then go for it :)

Thanx for all your replies
It has help me make a desision,
The question now is what spec should I go for?
The best processor on a single quad core with 8 gig/ 16 gig
Or an 8 core with however much ram??
Advice please :)
Am thinkin more the 1st 1 but not really sure how much ram would be sufficient.

Just bought a macbook pro 15",2.4 ghz
Configured it with 8mb ram
bought the logic app for £140
a cheap 22" led screen from currys

i will never look back,just awesome....

A new imac will be able to handle a fair amount, but its all too simple to max out cpu if youve got some big ass plugins and reverbs. In my acquaintance imacs harddrives assume to adulterate a lot faster than mac pros - not that harder to replace/fix but still something to anticipate about.

personally i would build a pc myself, hack it to run osx and get mac pro spec for less than a grand, however not everyones as computer savvy as I am ;) If your gunna go mac pro, I would say 4gb and single quad is ample. I have a similar spec PC and I can have a full project playing back with nothing bounced whatsoever, 20+ vst's running and never hit over 40% cpu usage. but if you got cash to burn go for the 8 core and 8gb of RAM, you wont have to buy another machine ever.

Back
Top Bottom