Mac pro or iMac ???

I really don't think it matters too much if it's one or the other for real man, I'd say either one handles the average production load good, though a full blown Mac Pro with all the trimmings would get you set for life. Too be honest in your situation though what I would do is go for a 17-inch MacBook Pro with the highest possible specs on it, that way it's mobile.

Hmmmm, I have an Imac but if I was to buy another mac it would be a macbook pro.
Just because of the portability.
Its annoying trying to work on projects in studios that don't have the same plug ins you have.

I'd say u pay for quality in whatever it is you buying, but i would love to here an explanation as well ........

I was on Cubase for awhile, but after some sessions with with msmith222 and his MacBook Pro Logic setup, I was sold.

What I liked about Logic was simply the workflow and the intuitive layout. I was able to to come to grips with everything rather quickly, and to add, loved the included synths and samplers. It's ability to bond nicely with Apple Loops is a plus as well. Of course, Logic, like any DAW, is not without its fair share of bugs and problems. However, I've found that Logic has been one of the biggest changes for the better in my production game.

Of course this is just my opinion. What it comes down to is what you're most comfortable with. I'll admit I had a bit of buyer's remorse after dropping the money on the MacBook Pro + Logic...but any remorse I had quickly disappeared. I like the aesthetics of the MacBook, the intuitive trackpad, the bluetooth capabilities, and most of all, the system reliability.

Cheers.

I just bought the 13 inch mac book pro that's normally £999 for £600 brand new off a mate that doesn't want it... oh yes! Picking it up tomorrow
youve always got money havent you... bastard.. buy me a mac please

Might as well make it 3 haha

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

I was on Cubase for awhile, but after some sessions with with msmith222 and his MacBook Pro Logic setup, I was sold.

What I liked about Logic was simply the workflow and the intuitive layout. I was able to to come to grips with everything rather quickly, and to add, loved the included synths and samplers. It's ability to bond nicely with Apple Loops is a plus as well. Of course, Logic, like any DAW, is not without its fair share of bugs and problems. However, I've found that Logic has been one of the biggest changes for the better in my production game.

Of course this is just my opinion. What it comes down to is what you're most comfortable with. I'll admit I had a bit of buyer's remorse after dropping the money on the MacBook Pro + Logic...but any remorse I had quickly disappeared. I like the aesthetics of the MacBook, the intuitive trackpad, the bluetooth capabilities, and most of all, the system reliability.

Cheers.

Safe!!!!
I dont think ill have any regret with the move my uncle is in to his logic and swears by macs, my Nan has even got 1 haha ive heard nothing but good so its gonna b a well made move i think.

Logic is the bee's knees, tried a few other DAWs and I definitely like Logic the best. Logic's own plugin's are quality imo, I don't think I could live without the ES2 and EXS24!!!

As others have mentioned, I find logic the most intuitive DAW for me. Also the Exs24 is a wicked sampler, along with sculpture and a few other quality synths and plugins.
and

A new imac will be able to handle a fair amount, but its all too simple to max out cpu if youve got some big ass plugins and reverbs. In my acquaintance imacs harddrives assume to adulterate a lot faster than mac pros - not that harder to replace/fix but still something to anticipate about.

thankyou for reiterating my points :)
for music production id definately go for a mac pro.

a new imac will be able to handle a fair amount, but its all too easy to max out cpu if youve got some big ass plugins and reverbs. In my experience imacs harddrives seem to deteriorate a lot faster than mac pros - not that hard to replace/fix but still something to think about.

Yeah they will probably replace it with Mac Expert or something

Been looking jn to this and what pisses me off so much about apple is no 1 knows for a fact and they dont let the customer know fuck all, so it could b discontinued or just as well a new model. Aparently they dont sell enough anymore (30%) to a previous (70%) and people are opting for imacs and laptops instead. The change is set go ahead early this year...

this is true. but you also see plenty of master classes with big names using cubase, ableton, fl ect.

i just think there over rated, lots oof people seem to think you need this or that to make great music.

i read an interview with someone signed to hospital. he said he wanted to prove you dont need these monster pc's and hundreds of plugins, all he uses is cubase and a couple of plugins & makes great, pro music.

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

sorry to mess up your thread anyway kieran. i'd say go for the better of the two, it's better to future proof.

Im a pc person myself, but i spose the logic behind people thinking a mac will make you produce great music is that if you shell out a good couple of grand for a mac, your going to have that much more determination to have a proper go at producing quality tracks so your money isnt wasted lol.

Been looking jn to this and what pisses me off so much about apple is no 1 knows for a fact and they dont let the customer know fuck all, so it could b discontinued or just as well a new model. Aparently they dont sell enough anymore (30%) to a previous (70%) and people are opting for imacs and laptops instead. The change is set go ahead early this year...

This is true, seems the only thing they can't keep under wraps are their iPhone prototypes. Seems like they always seem to "appear" at places before they are even announced.

They do sometimes tend to leave existing users out though, like this whole new Logic Pro price thing. They totally got rid of Logic Express, so their is no longer a cheaper upgrade option for those users (such as myself), the only way to get Logic Pro now is to throw down the cash.

This is true, seems the only thing they can't keep under wraps are their iPhone prototypes. Seems like they always seem to "appear" at places before they are even announced.

They do sometimes tend to leave existing users out though, like this whole new Logic Pro price thing. They totally got rid of Logic Express, so their is no longer a cheaper upgrade option for those users (such as myself), the only way to get Logic Pro now is to throw down the cash.

I know the iphone was suppost to have "got lost " or "mis placed" or whatever, but if that was the case y did still did no 1 have a clue what iphone was comin out next!!! It was suppost to b an iphone 5 but that didnt happen! May b they pulled it and come out with iphone 4s instead. God know to many rumours and no facts imo,

As for logic pro how come when i go in the shop and ask about it they say its 100 m odd quid n when i go on the site it says 400 n odd??

I know the iphone was suppost to have "got lost " or "mis placed" or whatever, but if that was the case y did still did no 1 have a clue what iphone was comin out next!!! It was suppost to b an iphone 5 but that didnt happen! May b they pulled it and come out with iphone 4s instead. God know to many rumours and no facts imo,

As for logic pro how come when i go in the shop and ask about it they say its 100 m odd quid n when i go on the site it says 400 n odd??

They discontinued the boxed retail version to replace it with the digital download version via the App store. It's much cheaper, and still comes with all the extras as separate (but free) downloads.

I produce off a iMac 27" 2010 model with only a duo core 2 in it and i can have 40 audio and instruments going. with tones of big plugin runnig and some times as much as 10 - 15 synths like massive albino kontakt etc, but i would still go pro, you can never have to much imo, i can't wait 2 upgrade to a pro, fucken 8 cores!!

Back
Top Bottom