M44 -7 Shure's. Is there any alternative?

Agent Smith

Currently Putins Koala
VIP Junglist
Been through my fair share of different carts & stylus'
Ortofon's (all different shapes and sizes) down to the low end Stantons (which weren't bad for the price)

After having a mess about on a mates 1210's who had Shure's I am pretty much convinced to buy them. I have quite a warped copy of Noisia's - Block Control which under the strain didnt skip once...we popped on an Ortofon and bam, it didnt like it one bit.

My question is....

Is there any GOOD alternative to M44-7's? Has anyone used Shure's and then moved onto another cart/stylus because they are better/more reliable/cheaper etc etc etc

reps up for grabs for good responses.

Whitelabels are probably the only thing I would chose over M44-7s

Nice one Scotty. Is there much difference in performance or are they similar to M44-7s?

I need a pair of shires. I tried using my ortofon's in a club once and I nearly had a nervous breakdown

Cable Room 1 - Ortofon Nightclub S's. When I saw them I thought this could be a little interesting...
had to be so gentle cueing...not ideal when your trying to tear the place apart!

i love the m447's
not the best sound quality out there but i dont think its very noticeable. a really good all rounder.

whitelabels are great, really great! expensive tho.

ortofons ive had a couple of types of these and replaced them quickly, didn't think much of them tbh.

personally i'd stay away from concorde style ones. i think they look shit (just my opinion) and these have given me more skipping problems than most others. in all fairness tho ive never tried a lot of them. i think the pricetag is higher due to their appearance which is more of a hindrance than a plus for me.

ive tried a lot of brands and im back on the 447's.

loving ortofons. if theyre perfectly calibrated youll have NO jumps. never had none and always use them in clubs/raves!

Fair enough. Maybe its just the setups I have encountered along the way that haven't been setup correctly. big up for your insight Groelle.

i love the m447's
not the best sound quality out there but i dont think its very noticeable. a really good all rounder.

whitelabels are great, really great! expensive tho.

ortofons ive had a couple of types of these and replaced them quickly, didn't think much of them tbh.

personally i'd stay away from concorde style ones. i think they look shit (just my opinion) and these have given me more skipping problems than most others. in all fairness tho ive never tried a lot of them. i think the pricetag is higher due to their appearance which is more of a hindrance than a plus for me.

ive tried a lot of brands and im back on the 447's.

fair play AJ!
it certainly isn't about appearance...had a pair of concordes and didnt get along with them one bit either.

the fact you went back to the M447's after trying other brands says alot. I am pretty much convinced by them, certainly compared to any other brand I've tried.

big ups for your insight pal. really good to hear peoples experiences with these kind of things, blowing money on new carts/stylus' isn't cheap and I definitely want something for the long term.

Cable Room 1 - Ortofon Nightclub S's. When I saw them I thought this could be a little interesting...
had to be so gentle cueing...not ideal when your trying to tear the place apart!

Yeah it was the same in room 2 man. The weights weren't set properly and I didn't have time to adjust them.

and I didn't have time to adjust them.

as in: you were too stupid??

put on a record, fix one turntable. put on another, fix the other one?! cant be that hard. lol.

really never experienced problems with ortofons in ANY club (and i played RC germany aswell as lots of little clubs and stuff..). really dunno where all this hate comes from?!

yeh, they need 3-4grams of weight, so its a bit more than shures but is it really that hard to calibrate?!?

anyways, shures are good aswell, just dont like em cause of their sound output. ortofons is like 10x better imo.

Back
Top Bottom