Lucider - Sentiment WIP liquidish neuro?

Lucider

This started as a sorta tech step track, then became a kind of contrast between liquid and neuro styles. I think the drums are on their way but not quite right yet, not sure what to do with them. My main frustration is the reese - I'm seriously considering taking out all the distortion on it to give it a mellower sound.
Listening on a different system (a 2.1 satellite) now it seems that three things are wrong with the lows: too much bass in the kick, subbass line is too loud, and the reese is muddy in the mid-los. Thoughts?
Thanks for the help,
J.P.

Really nice piano in the intro......sounding promising...... That bass is cool as fook! Really good track, I think your drums could use a little more bite to them, but apart from that this is good.

Split your bass frequencies, so you can distort the mid range without effecting the lows. Agree the sub is too high, not loud, take it down an octave, you want to feel it rather than hear it

Thanks. Honestly I could use Fender Rhodes samples in every track! In every genre.

I'm thinking about shortening up the snare, but part of me likes the natural sorta sound...

maybe my crappy ported sub system is giving me the wrong idea but the bass sounds muddy. On my monitors it seems to be fine.

Do some frequency sweeps to see if theres any spikes in your bass or kick that arent wanted, dip them frequencies out with a sharp notch filter, this should help

very nice love the piano and bass, sounds solid.

maybe add abit more grit or something to the drums to spice them up bit

Thanks!

aww man, a buddy of mine is telling me to chill it out and wondering why there's wobble bass at all and you all like the bassy wobble - I'm gonna take a break and sort this out, I'll re-upload tomorrow hopefully

Very nice intro, piano sounds great . The kick seems like it has a bit too much bass but the frequency seems to match proper, so maybe eq the low and compress it a tad. Also i think you are right about taking some of the distortion out of the bass to fit the tune a little better. I would maybe even try to change the wobble to something more long-gated.

What do you mean by long-gated?

For those that are curious, the reese gets a lot of it's character from the reverb in this chain:

synth
distortions/fx
reverb VERY dry*
LPF automations
*because it's heavily compressed, so the tail of the reverb comes out when there's not a note being played
more fx, sends to distortions, more fx

I'm gonna redo the original waveform to a clean square and see how that goes. And add some notch filter sweeps to the highs so that when the wobble opens up it has some movement and hopefully sounds less like a squealing pig. I've cleaned out the super lows of the kick already so that's much better; gave a harder attack to the snare. And I lowered the mix of the LPF'd sawtooth in the subbass synth so it feels deeper and doesn't muddy with the reese so much.

I may run the drums through some tape distortion (aux send I suppose) if I decide to take the track harder instead of mellower, still don't know.

Re-up will be tomorrow I guess, thanks again for the extra ears.

-J.P.

Not my cup of tea but damn, this is tasty. Great piano work and I actually like the bass!
The drums could have a little bit more grit in them, tape distortion would be a good idea I guess.

Piano is beautiful, initially I was in agreement with your friend, that the bass simply didn't fit but by the drop @ 3:24 it started to gel nicely.

Yeah, you know I think I might just lower the automation on the wobble during the first half of the thing. That way it's not controversial and it will just stay sorta subtle - then open up at 3:24 - though that's going back to one of my old habits of putting "two songs in one track."

piano sounds great on my setup, nice intro altogether. when the tune hits, i agree with nusphere that it took a sec to get used to. however, i though it was rolling along well before 3min, closer to 1:15. this is a pretty interesting tune, i can't think of anything that i have heard that is too similar. actually, i think i like the bass a lot. percussion is nice and tight, i wouldn't be upset if it were a bit more aggressive though. second drop is the best. really nice tune.

Big tune, that rhodes-esque piano really hits the spot. The bass is cranks nicely, and I have to agree with my production partner-in-crime msmith222 in that this is a very unique sounding tune...a new sub-sub genre...perhaps neur-liq or liqeuro :)

Kidding aside, this is a clean, well produced track.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The tune sounds pretty solid & interesting, combining chilled rhodes and neuro bassline. The only downer for me are the drums(sounds like they could be harder/more neuro-ish and less liquidy , but thats just my taste for things :))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom