loud quiet loud quiet!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by technic1210, Oct 1, 2009.

1. technic1210

technic1210 ''VINYL VINYL VINYL''

just playing bk a mix i did the other day,its fucked ie when the bass is on the tunes its muffled,but when the tune breaks it gets noticibly louder????anyone of you who produces mite no what im on about ie sometimes your sound can drown out another till that sound stops..so what the hell is causing my records to suddenly start doing this???

2. DJ COSHH

DJ COSHH Active Member

Perhaps your overdriving the system causing it to start clipping and during the breakdowns with less bass to deal with it sounds louder. What did you use to record it?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  3. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Yeah it sounds like clipping like Coshh said, open up the file in Goldwave or whatever and you'll see if its maxing out at the top of the waveform. If it is then thats your problem :)

4. H*product

H*product Heavyweight product

yea, as above. the sound you can hear is often reffered to as "pumping" its caused by over/bad compressing/limiting or driving any gain into clipping.

remember you can clip any part of your signal chain so:
    1)mixer channel volume
    2)mixer master volume
    3)soundcard audio input

all pretty high but no clipping and you'll be pukka. normalise the audio file after and that'l bring it up to the maximum volume.

5. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

turn your fukin bass down!! hahaha

Bass uses more energy to be processed... this will be the technical reason for why the mix sounds as though its dropping in volume.

If you dont calm down on your levels you are risking blowing the sound card.

to solve this do what everyone else has said previous....

6. DTR

DTR the village idiot

^^^This. It takes a lot more energy for the speaker to reproduce bass frequencies than higher frequencies at the same level. This is why subs have their own amps.

7. technic1210

ut it aint even that loud from my stereo,never had this problem till i downloaded the older version of audacity last week,the bars are green when playing bk the mix surly if it was clipping they would be red?

8. Transient Energ

Transient Energ Member

Not if its clipping before it reaches audacity. Check your mixer levels.

9. technic1210

i still have this problem,the levels on my mixer are always roundabouts the same,its pissing me off now.

10. dbjungle

dbjungle DJ Syklone

Yeah, typically compression or limiting is the cause of this. Peaking usually has a really bad and noticeable sound. Trust me you can tell the difference. I would check the Audacity settings (I've never used it) and see if you can disable that paricular function. Tractor has a built in limiter, but it's pretty effective. Not sure what to expect when I make the full swap to CDs soon. I've used Audition 1.5 and it seemed ok for recording. No limiting by default.

11. matty_dark

matty_dark New Member

I always used to experiment with the levels a bit before i actually started recording. It sounds like you'd be better off starting with the gains quite low and work up to a decent level from there.

12. dj_bmc

dj_bmc Member

u might have some kind of limiter built in to ur mixer or amp, when the tune peaks at a certain level the limiter will kick in to protect ur system, either that or as ppl said above, it's clipping and ur gettin digital distortion. It really couldn't be anything else, go thru all ur levels and check audacity hasn't got something like "normalize whilst recording" automaticllay checked.