Loss of Subs when exporting

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Hello Guys,

I am finding this problem and it is getting quite annoying. When I produce a track on Ableton everything sounds fine. The subs, top end, mid range everything just the way I wanted but when I exported as a WAV file certain frequencies are lost, mainly the sub bass. Does anyone knows why this is happening? My exporting settings are 44100 hz 32-Bit WAV. Could it be just a Ableton problem or a idiot-like-me problem??

Thanks
MENOSANCE :D

Any reason you're exporting as 32bit?

When you say certain freq's are lost, have you tried playing the tune on different sound systems to see if any of those frequencies can be heard (Although I'm not sure which systems could handle a 32-bit laced file...).

If you're exporting for listening purposes, keep that mofo 16bit@44.1.

Any reason you're exporting as 32bit?

When you say certain freq's are lost, have you tried playing the tune on different sound systems to see if any of those frequencies can be heard (Although I'm not sure which systems could handle a 32-bit laced file...).

If you're exporting for listening purposes, keep that mofo 16bit@44.1.

I heard that exporting at 32-bit is better than 16-bit from Computer Music. That is the main reason why I export like that. I could always be wrong though.

And do I add dithering?? and which type?

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I am finding this problem and it is getting quite annoying. When I produce a track on Ableton everything sounds fine. The subs, top end, mid range everything just the way I wanted but when I exported as a WAV file certain frequencies are lost, mainly the sub bass. Does anyone knows why this is happening? My exporting settings are 44100 hz 32-Bit WAV. Could it be just a Ableton problem or a idiot-like-me problem??

Thanks
MENOSANCE :D

sounds very annoying for sure. Have you tried exporting at different rates to see what happens? There is only a gain in exporting at 32bit if you have either got a lot of samples that were made at that depth, or you are using lots of softsynths and lush reverbs and want super graduated volume / fade curves as the added bit depth is capturing more of the original dynamic range.
Making a project using lots of 16 bit sounds then exporting at 32bit will add no value, infact it might lose some quality due to more conversions. A bit like getting an old photo from a disposable camera, and then taking a photo of that photo with a Canon 5D.. it can't improve the original quality.
The exception here might be the sample rate if you were sending it for mastering. Some gear runs better at higher rates. But the bounce intself won't initially have any improvement.
It's possible you have sme kind of strange noise-shaping or dither switched on which is f**ing with your s**t. Have a look and make that's all off.
*****Dither is a way of adding in a kind of noise to the mix if you convert bit depths. This masks any aliasing that might be incurred from the processing.
Ah... the other thing it could be is a mono summing issue.. If you have any stereo in the low end there could be issues with it not adding up and phasing itself out. Long shot but it would give that effect of reduced volume for sure.
Try bouncing just the sub on it's own and see what happens.

Be interested to hear the solution when you find it as I'm sure you will :)

^This.

With regards to CM stating that exporting to 32 is better than 16, it really depends on the situation. As digitallabz stated, the increased bit depth will allow for a higher res quality in certain areas, but realistically you should check with the mastering engineer to see what type of export file/specs they prefer.

For now, export your tunes at 16bit/44.1when your wanting to just listen back to your tune.

ur not eq'n the lows out each time are you? say if your lowcutting at 30hz or whatever i guess some other frequencies get dragged in unless you're using a brickwall eq. besides that i have no idea sorry mate

sounds very annoying for sure. Have you tried exporting at different rates to see what happens? There is only a gain in exporting at 32bit if you have either got a lot of samples that were made at that depth, or you are using lots of softsynths and lush reverbs and want super graduated volume / fade curves as the added bit depth is capturing more of the original dynamic range.
Making a project using lots of 16 bit sounds then exporting at 32bit will add no value, infact it might lose some quality due to more conversions. A bit like getting an old photo from a disposable camera, and then taking a photo of that photo with a Canon 5D.. it can't improve the original quality.
The exception here might be the sample rate if you were sending it for mastering. Some gear runs better at higher rates. But the bounce intself won't initially have any improvement.
It's possible you have sme kind of strange noise-shaping or dither switched on which is f**ing with your s**t. Have a look and make that's all off.
*****Dither is a way of adding in a kind of noise to the mix if you convert bit depths. This masks any aliasing that might be incurred from the processing.
Ah... the other thing it could be is a mono summing issue.. If you have any stereo in the low end there could be issues with it not adding up and phasing itself out. Long shot but it would give that effect of reduced volume for sure.
Try bouncing just the sub on it's own and see what happens.

Be interested to hear the solution when you find it as I'm sure you will :)

I did find a solution which is to export at 16-bit with no dither.

Thanks all for the help guys :)

Back
Top Bottom