Looping Crew

t345e

VIP Junglist
Yooooo, anyone using looping in their mixes at the moment? I just discovered it and feel like ive just discovered the missing piece of the jigsaw. Maybe I'm not down with the times but it doesn't seem like a common technique with dnb for some reason. Can't see why.

Yooooo, anyone using looping in their mixes at the moment? I just discovered it and feel like ive just discovered the missing piece of the jigsaw. Maybe I'm not down with the times but it doesn't seem like a common technique with dnb for some reason. Can't see why.

I use cue points a lot more than loops. I usually only use loops to extend bits because I missed my mix point.

Generally dnb dj's are very anti-technology, which is bizarre considering the Sci Fi/future music aspect of dnb.

I love loops, personally.
I actually hear em' used pretty often, you just gotta listen for them. If used properly, most people don't even notice.
Timecode would use loops from time to time in his MSX promo mixes and it sounded pristine. Like in his MSX 98 mix, he looped 32 bars of the end of Cold Fresh Air by Higher Sense, and used it as a drum bed as he brought in Living For The Future by Omni Trio.
Kept it rolling throughout the tune as well until the switch into Thru The Vibe.

I use cue points a lot more than loops. I usually only use loops to extend bits because I missed my mix point.

Generally dnb dj's are very anti-technology, which is bizarre considering the Sci Fi/future music aspect of dnb.

Yeah cue points are a must, I don't know what I'd do without them now which is a bit worrying.

Why do you reckon there's a reluctance? Seems odd to me that its not used more.

I love loops, personally.
I actually hear em' used pretty often, you just gotta listen for them. If used properly, most people don't even notice.
Timecode would use loops from time to time in his MSX promo mixes and it sounded pristine. Like in his MSX 98 mix, he looped 32 bars of the end of Cold Fresh Air by Higher Sense, and used it as a drum bed as he brought in Living For The Future by Omni Trio.
Kept it rolling throughout the tune as well until the switch into Thru The Vibe.

I listen out to it man but rarely hear it being done. But yeah, the idea is you don't notice so maybe I have heard them and not realised.

It's wicked being able to let the mix roll out until the breakdown rather than taking it out a bit prematurely which is something that pisses me off with dnb. It seems every man and his dog is obsessed with squeezing in as many tracks into a mix as possible because they believe it shows skill. I used to look at track lists and be impressed by the number of tracks but now I'd just rather listen to 2 long, well eq'd, mixes.

I dunno, when I've tried it on CDJ 1000s it drifts out really quickly

You have to hit them and keep them in time.

I haven't really found many creative uses for them but it's definitely something I'd like to get into.

It's kind of crazy how much better techno and house dj's are and how much more creative they are.

Kinda hard to loop vinyl :(

Could get some novation dicers to use with serato though i guess. Have no need at the moment really. Think id rather just get a 3rd deck as only reason i would loop is to avoid breakdowns and keep the drums rolling.

You have to hit them and keep them in time.

I haven't really found many creative uses for them but it's definitely something I'd like to get into.

It's kind of crazy how much better techno and house dj's are and how much more creative they are.

AMC uses loops to get from dnb to house tempo etc by adjusting the Out faster and faster until its about 130bpm - or something along those lines.

House DJs are only more 'creative' cos they only play 1 tune every 5 minutes; filling up that time with stupid effects is ghey imo. I double drop house and electro beats and keep things moving. No need for gimicks then

you can loop vinyl on a pioneer mixer if available. have to take the time to ensure you record the loop as best as you can. get it right and ur in business.

I used it loads with traktor, I usually have a loop set in the intro, breakdown and end. I have a button setup that'll activate the loop when it hits it, set and forget style.
Its very easy to keep it all in time if youre fully quantised, synched, etc. I dont think cdj's quantise the in/out points, theyre fecking rubbish at dnb tempo anyhow.
It does bring another level to mixes if used correctly, two funky breaks perfectly rolling with each other amps the tune a lot. It can be very easily abused though and requires excellent EQing and knowledge of your tunes to work at its best. Coupled with mixing in key using 3 decks you can blow peoples little minds. It still doesnt feel as good as vinyl though, it never will.

Back
Top Bottom