Drum & Bass Loop production, need help.

Discussion in 'Production' started by Horizion, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Horizion

Horizion New Member

Hi all. I've made a basic D&B drum loop but i want to know if its best to begin to put the rest of the track together using the basic loop i have now and make it into variations once the rest of the track elements are created, or make the loop into its many variants with fills and alterations etc before i move on to doing the bass part and the rest of the track?

Thanks in advance,

Horizon.

2. underspawn

underspawn Headz Roll

Lay down the skeleton of the tune first, work on the details and mixdown later imo.
    Make a basic 16 or 32 bar loop with your drums, bass and whatever sounds you'd have in the tune, then copy it a few times and start tweaking it by making some changes every 8 or 16 or 32 or w/e bars(everything really depends on the track). Then make a basic intro/breakdown. If you struggle with them you can first make the main parts. Copy the 1st main part of the tune and change it as much as you'd like or even make a whole new one(in the context of the tune ofc), which will be the second main part of your track. After you have the whole thing set up and sounding basic you can start tweaking, making changes, going nuts with the details etc. I'd usually leave the mixdown for last.
    You can choose to go about it in a completely different way ofc, as we all know there are no rules in electronic music :) Try to find a way that suits your workflow and saves you time,
    Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  3. Horizion

Horizion New Member

Thanks underspawn, do you do the skeleton for the whole track and then go back and do the details? Nice tune btw. :)

4. underspawn

underspawn Headz Roll

yes and thanks :)

Horizion likes this.
  5. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I think this is something you need to figure out on your own, everyone works completely differently, so you need to find out what works best for you, there is no right or wrong way of doing things. Most people will build an 8 bar riff, then work from there, others will start with beats while some will start with lead melodies. I personally have found best results by starting a track right from the intro, and building up into the drop, instead of creating the main body of the drop, then working an intro to fit it?! Everyone does their thing differently mate, you need to find out in your own way whats best for you.

6. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

what fletch said.

My usual workflow is building a drum loop, then coming up with a bass riff, and just building on top of it from there...and then sucking hard at coming up with interesting edits and variation.

though, some my best ideas have come from starting from the intro, building nice atmosphere and setting a vibe.

7. wingz

wingz everyones fav austrian

what the others said + i try to keep a certain vibe in the tune, use certain samples that compliment the theme of the tune

8. Horizion

Horizion New Member

Thanks for insight peeps, i know ill have to figure out my own way of doing things and i look forward it but its nice to have good point to start from. :gpeace: