Looking for tips and pointers

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
I've been a producer for many years now, and have been part of this community for the most part of it. However, I have decided to take the leap into mixing too, and have just purchased the Numark Mixtrack Pro 2 DJ controller.

Do any of you guys have any tips or pointers into getting the most out of my controller? any good mix tips? FX? etc?

Do you know how to mix at all?

I can imagine most people saying 'don't press sync', especially if you haven't mastered beat matching. (I personally don't use any effects ever so can't help with that)

firstly, what software are you using? Try out all other software until youre happy youve chosen one which is right for you.

secondly, head over to www.djtechtools.com for a nice mapping.

The thing with controllers is out the box theyre a bit basic, all the functions should be mapped for you, but the workflow might be a bit shitty.

Work with your software a bit, understand everything it has to offer. From someone coming from a DAW you shouldnt have much problem with this.

Now, find a workflow that works for you, what functions are you using the most? What buttons on your controller are you using least? You can re-purpose them with midi mapping, much like you'd do in your DAW with any midi surface although probably way more convoluted if traktor's any benchmark.

Last but not least, have fun, but dont destroy the music youre playing. Controllerists (and DJ's in general) tend to have itchy trigger fingers, youre always looking for something to do, usually abusing the flanger.

Dont be the fucking flanger guy!

once you grow weary of controllers, buy some 1210's and maybe a DVS setup, start your vinyl collection and never look back! ;)

Pmsl! The fucking flanger guy! Worse thing is, I've only had the controller a day and I admit I have been toying with the flanger! But I promise to abort it from now on on your recommendation!

I'm using serato at the minute as it came with the controller. I do have traktor but for some reason it crashes every time I link up the controller!

Pmsl! The fucking flanger guy! Worse thing is, I've only had the controller a day and I admit I have been toying with the flanger! But I promise to abort it from now on on your recommendation!

I'm using serato at the minute as it came with the controller. I do have traktor but for some reason it crashes every time I link up the controller!

Stick with Serato mate.

You new to mixing completly or?

yeah pretty new. I came from a background where all my friends DJ'ed, they'd all be taking it in turns at house parties n shit but I was always too wasted to bother. A few of my pals have regular slots at clubs now, a few are on radio etc. I know the basics, I can beatmatch, and I understand the fundamentals of it all. But as it is with my production, I want to be the best that I can be, and I'll soak up any tips like a sponge man!

before using effects try experimenting different ways to mix in a tune, I never had effects till recently and personally think a good DJ should be able to smash a set without the use of effects. Effects are useful at times but you should be able to do a set without even using them. Try to get used to double dropping, beat juggling etc before delving into what different effects there are.

as others have said... record yourself.
post it up. let others judge it and provide constructive criticism.
if you don't want to post up a short set, you're welcome to PM me something and I'll give you some feedback.

effects can be good. in moderation. flanger is a bit overkill, personally wouldn't bother.
a gentle sweeping filter can be used when bringing a tune out of the mix. or for when one track'd drums cut away for a bit. can work really well if done right.
a very slight echo / reverb can be good if you have vocal with no track behind it.

just play around and enjoy yourself.

Cheers fella's. I'm not shy about posting something up for you lot to tell me where I'm going wrong. It's what helped me most back in the day over on the production part of the forum.

Unfortunately it wont be for the next few weeks tho as I fly out to Turkey early tomorrow morning for a well needed break! But once I get back I'll be sure to record a few short mixes.

Back
Top Bottom