Looking for opinions from fans of drum and bass

Darren

hi, i'm doing a research task at college at the moment, and as my subject i've chosen to look at is whether or not advances in technology have improved drum and bass. what i'm asking from you is your reply to the question "have advances in technology enhanced drum and bass for you and why?" this isn't in one particular sense.. it could be because you prefer CDJs to vinyl, you dislike software synthesisers to hardware.. etc.
i'd really appreciate any input people can make, thanks

i will give ya a bit of feed back when i have finished work, but i think anvances in any technolgy are gonna enhance anything it is aimed at or it wouldnt be an advance would it? i will go into more detail later bro.

the ease of ability to produce music now has created a saturated market or something which is otherwise referred to as "the pendulum effect"

the ease of ability to produce music now has created a saturated market or something which is otherwise referred to as "the pendulum effect"

Production

agreed on this one... ease of production means the talent pool is diluted due to a saturation of able people

however, this is a double edged sword as it means people who were never able to afford the equipment can now do so, meaning they would never have got their break back in the day.

DJing

again, double edged sword... on the one hand technology has meant that i can now make a track and burn it to CD and play it within minutes, where as before it needs mastering and cutting... i personally think this is good, but some vinyl die hards would whole heartedly disagree!

Yeh i was a little tongue in cheek there, I honestly think that saturation is good, because more people are competing for releases, which means labels have more people to choose from, thus can filter out the best ones, which should in turn mean better quality releases for fans of the music, or even still more diverse releases.

But there is also a flip where a guy can turn up to a club with a piece of plastic that has some pots on top, plug it in and play his shitty "dubs", which clip because they aren't mastered, while his mates repeat "we need some more girls in here" on the mic.

cheers for the replies, guys.
other things can be used as an explanation to your answer aswell, things such as: use of the internet, the quality of sound systems.. anything you want really just as long as it's something to with advances in technology affecting your experience of drum and bass

"have advances in technology enhanced drum and bass for you? and why?"

My answer is yes. I MC, on more of a hosting flex these days, and things like Facebook/MySpace have made it easier for good quality MC's like SP, ID, DRS etc etc to reach crowds abroad and in the UK who may not have had accessibility to sets or booking these guys before D&B really took off on the internet. Sites like Breakbeat, Cunts on Acid and our own DNBFORUM and their popularity worldwide have meant that anyone can get into d&b. And if people hear a tune they like on the radio, from a friend etc etc - they can also jump on the internet and there you go!! Raves on every week nationwide and internationally as well. Talking to Producers/DJ's/MC's and Promoters has never been easier...

As far as Production goes, I am not an expert, but it's clear that what you can do with software these days clearly surpasses what you could do even ten years ago. Let alone twenty! Sure this has lead to 'throwaway' d&b without a good shelf-life in some cases. But, as Richie said, people who haven't got the means to save up for what they want (or look to Mummy & Daddy) can now get into music production a lot easier. Talent and hard-work will always prevail - and we have the advances in technology to thank for this.

One drawback though. Regarding going out ravin. When I first started hittin dances about 6 years ago, they were normally BIG raves that were always packed. There weren't as many nights on, and there weren't as many 'smaller' nights in bars etc up and down the UK. NOW THERE IS!! Apart from a few label nights, raves just don't seem as packed these days to me. Promoters find it easier to arrange nights, and there are a lot more artists that have established themselves in the last six years, so arguably the advances in technology have contributed to this.

Tbh I could go on all day, but I'm at workingssss

Last edited:
My answer is yes. I MC, on more of a hosting flex these days, and things like Facebook/MySpace have made it easier for good quality MC's like SP, ID, DRS etc etc to reach crowds abroad and in the UK who may not have had accessibility to sets or booking these guys before D&B really took off on the internet. Sites like Breakbeat, Cunts on Acid and our own DNBFORUM and their popularity worldwide have meant that anyone can get into d&b. And if people hear a tune they like on the radio, from a friend etc etc - they can also jump on the internet and there you go!! Raves on every week nationwide and internationally as well. Talking to Producers/DJ's/MC's and Promoters has never been easier...

As far as Production goes, I am not an expert, but it's clear that what you can do with software these days clearly surpasses what you could do even ten years ago. Let alone twenty! Sure this has lead to 'throwaway' d&b without a good shelf-life in some cases. But, as Richie said, people who haven't got the means to save up for what they want (or look to Mummy & Daddy) can now get into music production a lot easier. Talent and hard-work will always prevail - and we have the advances in technology to thank for this.

One drawback though. Regarding going out ravin. When I first started hittin dances about 6 years ago, they were normally BIG raves that were always packed. There weren't as many nights on, and there weren't as many 'smaller' nights in bars etc up and down the UK. NOW THERE IS!! Apart from a few label nights, raves just don't seem as packed these days to me. Promoters find it easier to arrange nights, and there are a lot more artists that have established themselves in the last six years, so arguably the advances in technology have contributed to this.

Tbh I could go on all day, but I'm at workingssss

ditto man, could go on and on and on... but at work!

but yeah, in short the answer is yes!

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

also, i'm feeling what you say about the big raves... but it dont bother me cos i like smaller nights anyway, more personal, more space to danceeeeeeee!

yeah mate id say yes for sure, not always for the good too. pretty much everything has been said but facebook/myspace/soundcloud have changed the scene completley, along with cd's and computer software. as a result though, DNB has become popular, you its not even 20 years old yet but with the internet, things like dnb will never die as it will always be accessible to the peple that want it, this goes for almost anything imo, anything collectible any hobbies, the internet will always be able there to provide, i hope anyway.

also whats peoples opinions on DNB ever dying? 20 years and all that, i dont reckon it will, if its lasted this long??

I don't think it'll "die"

No genre really does. It just transforms into something else.

But there will always be a few artists sticking to the blueprints.

I mean, Jungle is a lot different to what D&B is now. It's evolved. But then there's still the odd bit of jungle coming through still.

Yes because tools such as the internet have made dnb more accessible to more people. Websites, podcasts, digital downloads mean that more people can access music.

Does anyone else think that it'll get to a point where CDs will start dieing out?

Surely at a point, MP3 will replace them?

Vinyl will always have a certain market. So it may lessen, but will always be around.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

borf not trolling????

I seldom troll.

I'm deeply upset you would say such a thing!

the fuck is this? want for novelty

You can buy a 32" touch screen for about £13,000 & the Traktor Emulator Software I think is about £3000.

It will play full wavs apparently & you can open up to 6 channels & edit the waveforms live for looping etc etc.

I believe they already have these installed in a few clubs in Ibiza.

I certainly know what my 1st DJ related purchase is if I win the lottery!!!

Back
Top Bottom