looking for advice on which sound card and monitors to buy

Darth Sidious

bloody ear abuse
Hi, im fairly new to music production, have been producing for about 6 months now and am looking to buy an external soundcard and active monitors. i am looking to spend about £70-80 on the soundcard and about £2-300 on the monitors. does anyone have any suggestions? any advice about places to look and the best brands would be much appreciated. Im using a laptop if that has any relevance.

cheers

Or behringer or alesis.... They're all the same pretty much I hear. You'd just better get a listen to them beforehand. Don't buy without hearing them out first and comparing yourself. Don't believe spec sheets from manufacturers either and DONT BUY something because the label says they go 3Hz lower than other speakers...

For that kind of money I would recommend something M-audio and a pair of Samson Rubicon R5's. The KRK are cool but the R5's are in another league for the small amount you pay.
Soundcard is a different story. PC or MAC laptop? PC I would go with M-Audio. MAC I would go with Apogee UNO.
Hope that helps.
d

+1 for the R5a's, I have a pair and love em to bits. Re: apogee UNO, probably not the best idea unless you plan on mixing in mono! (they're a single out but correct me if I'm wrong). The Duet would be a good choice but gets pricey. I would rather get a PreSonus FireStudio, quality interface.

When I get the cash and upgrade from the ol' computer speakers/headphones i'm going to buy me some of those krk rokit 8's for sure
Just keep hearing good things about them from everyone

I'm on rockit 5's and fine them more than enough for a small room production environment. Sometimes I feel I would like a little more kick out of them, but overall i think they provide a pretty good balance across the spectrum. Now I've got to know them a bit better I'm getting quite consistant results on different speakers in different environments.
To be honest, I wouldn't really reccomend producing with a sub. I'd maybe only listen to it with the sub active once i've got my final mixdown nailed.

thanks for the comments chaps. I guess its very subjective but when adding a subwoofer one is surely inviting problems with the crossover point and the respective output levels to ensure the nearfields smooth response carryies down into the sub, creating problems no doubt if then played on other systems.

Its another €80 to move upto a pair the 6's so am toying with that, for the little extra bottom end without much additional space required.

Back
Top Bottom