looking for advice on which sound card and monitors to buy

Discussion in 'Production' started by Darth Sidious, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious bloody ear abuse

Hi, im fairly new to music production, have been producing for about 6 months now and am looking to buy an external soundcard and active monitors. i am looking to spend about £70-80 on the soundcard and about £2-300 on the monitors. does anyone have any suggestions? any advice about places to look and the best brands would be much appreciated. Im using a laptop if that has any relevance.

cheers

2. djmotiondnb

djmotiondnb AKA Tactician

Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    KRK RockIt monitors.. standard

3. kama

kama benkama.net

Or behringer or alesis.... They're all the same pretty much I hear. You'd just better get a listen to them beforehand. Don't buy without hearing them out first and comparing yourself. Don't believe spec sheets from manufacturers either and DONT BUY something because the label says they go 3Hz lower than other speakers...

4. druu

druu Member

Yup, best to go into a shop and listen to them for yourself. Bring in a cd with various tracks you know very well.

5. dauntless

dauntless Member

For that kind of money I would recommend something M-audio and a pair of Samson Rubicon R5's. The KRK are cool but the R5's are in another league for the small amount you pay.
    Soundcard is a different story. PC or MAC laptop? PC I would go with M-Audio. MAC I would go with Apogee UNO.
    Hope that helps.
    d

6. druu

druu Member

+1 for the R5a's, I have a pair and love em to bits. Re: apogee UNO, probably not the best idea unless you plan on mixing in mono! (they're a single out but correct me if I'm wrong). The Duet would be a good choice but gets pricey. I would rather get a PreSonus FireStudio, quality interface.

7. Krispy

Krispy Member

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

delta 1010LT and KRK rokit 8s shit is like word is bond

9. Krispy

Krispy Member

When I get the cash and upgrade from the ol' computer speakers/headphones i'm going to buy me some of those krk rokit 8's for sure
    Just keep hearing good things about them from everyone

10. Oria

Oria Member

Anyone running the Rokit 5" driver model - do you have a dedicated subwoofer in place as well ?

11. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

I'm on rockit 5's and fine them more than enough for a small room production environment. Sometimes I feel I would like a little more kick out of them, but overall i think they provide a pretty good balance across the spectrum. Now I've got to know them a bit better I'm getting quite consistant results on different speakers in different environments.
    To be honest, I wouldn't really reccomend producing with a sub. I'd maybe only listen to it with the sub active once i've got my final mixdown nailed.

12. Oria

Oria Member

thanks for the comments chaps. I guess its very subjective but when adding a subwoofer one is surely inviting problems with the crossover point and the respective output levels to ensure the nearfields smooth response carryies down into the sub, creating problems no doubt if then played on other systems.

Its another €80 to move upto a pair the 6's so am toying with that, for the little extra bottom end without much additional space required.