Looking for a Free DAW

jimjimjim

oldskool
VIP Junglist
Hi,
Reason user so ive never used VST plugins.
I keep hearing about how cool they are - so i guess i need a DAW to open them.
Any ideas for a free DAW that i can check out all these VST plugins with?
thanks

Dunno how easy it would be to find a decent one completely free but i'd personally suggest either FL or Reaper. FL is cheap and you get free life-time updates (awesome). Reaper is just cheap and i've heard very good things about it.

There's Renoise too if you can handle composing with a tracker as opposed to a sequencer.

You could rewire renoise to reason and use the vsts that way.

The only limitations are you cannot bounce audio.

Renoise

Reaper gets my thumbs up too :2thumbs:

google for "vsthost", afaik its freeware. There u can insert a vsti synth for example and look how it sounds. U dont have to buy a hole DAW.

u can load vsti = vst instrument (synth) into it and play it, if u want to try a vst fx, there is a winamp DSP plugin vsthost that u could test.

oh LOLs - someone gave me a copy of ableton live and could i get this VST plugin to load.... no.

will download reaper tonight - dont like the look of ableton :rinsed:

ableton is only DAW u can change the whole GUI color in settings ;) u have to set up the vst file path to tell abl where ur .dll r, then u can load it from plugin browser.

Hi Luzil,
yeah im pretty sure i did that - pointed to this plugin folder but it didnt come up with anything.
Maybe its the plugin itself? I got it off computer music magazine - it was a drum sequencer that sounded cool.
will have another go tonight - dont forget ive only been using Live for like an hour :)
:smash: - me smashing my computer !

Back
Top Bottom