Looking for a Drum and Bass tutor for Reason 4

yoshi123

Hi all,

I am a complete noob, and want to create some DNB tracks in Reason 4. So far I'm slowly working my way through Lynda tutorials on how to use the s/ware.

I am looking for a tutor, who can tutor me Teamviewer/Skype to create drum and bass tracks. Is this possible or anyone up for it? I am thinking of paying in the region of £30/$50 per hour shipped via Paypal.

I have a nice setup - quad core PC, Sennheiser studio headphones, Asus STX sound card. I also have an Audiolab amp and Acoustic energy speakers.

Although never produced music, I do have a 'musical ear' according to my old school. I've been listening to DNB since 1991/1992 and respect LTJ Bukem / Logical Progression as the creme of DNB.

Would like to hear some feedback on where I go from here, or if there is a tutor out there for me.

dont pay to learn man!! thats silly. Go on youtube and work through every tutorial vid possible. Then practise :) There is loads of advice kicking about on this forum

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?74960-***Reason-Tutorial-Video-s***

I agree mate, it is definately better to learn the basics on your own by just watching tutorials asking questions on the forum. By using a tutor you will just be imitating their methods completely. this may not be the best way to get your creativity going. by learning hands on you will develope your own style and bring a level of 'uniqueness' to your productions. there are plenty of ppl on here who are happy to help if you get stuck or need guidance

Thanks for the replies - normally I address any new skill by doing tutorials etc. I am of course doing those.

But I am used to being coached for golf, poker etc and it really helps. It would just maybe 'accelerate' learning or show me how to get into bad habits.

Is there somewhere I can download a DNB track for reason and analyse the layout and so on?

making music is completely individual , you should just learn yourself and find whats best for you , there are loads of ways on how to make a bassline , when you find the one for you you feel much better than using someone elses.

Yoshi, the best thing to start with is learning how to program beats.
Start off learning how to use the Redrum, to make it as easy as possible for you I'd load up any old patch from the Redrum library and use the sequencer window/piano roll to input your beats with the pen tool rather than using the pattern sequencer (make sure you have your loop on when working on it). That way you'll getter a better understanding of the rhythmical placements of the kick and snare (hi hats/percussion too), if you were to use the Redrum's pattern sequencer to make a beat then you'll have to fully learn the device and also learn how to automate pattern sections, this will ultimately take time to learn. I did this when I first started a few years ago and it was okay, but I rarely use that method now and prefer to do it all in the sequencing window/piano roll if I can help it.
Failing that^
You could load up some Dr.Rex loops and play around with them from there, but you won't be learning the sequencing process which is absolutely essential. (You can move REX notes around in the sequencer and create your own beats from the initial REX sample as well.)
When it comes to your bassline, to start off with, you're probably best finding some standard patch on the Subtractor, Maelstrom, or Thor and play around with some notes, pitch bend etc...

Production in Drum and Bass (and most nearly all forms of dance music) is a comlpex procedure, everyone has different methods but in software there are basic rudiments that you should know like learning how to use a piano roll/sequencer window, and knowing how to control not only elements of sound via FX, EQ, and processing but the nuances of MIDI information like note lengths, rhythmical parameters, velocity, and various automation features like volume, panning etc...
I'm currently teaching myself synthesis and I feel there's still tons to learn. I've been producing for 5 years now and I've come to learn that anything that improves your workflow the better. Sometimes producers get away with just bashing stuff out and sending it off for mastering. But to become a decent producer nowadays I'd argue that you need to know and understand all of what I've mentioned above to create decent sounding mixes, and last of all mastering (which is an art in itself) or at the very least, how to prepare your tracks for pre-mastering.
Hope this helps! Don't shit yerself, just do it!! :D

Last edited:
Totally agree with Yobbo.
Don't pay for that shit, just start working. I'm now producing with reason for about two weeks.
Dave from boyinaband really got me started on Reason 4, because I was producing in FL Studio before.

Just follow his (7 days) tutorials and you'll be glad to hear the end result.
And if you want to know something, just ask on the forum here, loads of people who can help.

So after doing a couple of tutorials last two weeks I'm now working on this:
http://soundcloud.com/artifexstudios/artfx-dnb-project-2

And believe me, I've never touched, felt or used Reason before this last two weeks.

Totally agree with Yobbo.
Don't pay for that shit, just start working. I'm now producing with reason for about two weeks.
Dave from boyinaband really got me started on Reason 4, because I was producing in FL Studio before.

Just follow his (7 days) tutorials and you'll be glad to hear the end result.
And if you want to know something, just ask on the forum here, loads of people who can help.

So after doing a couple of tutorials last two weeks I'm now working on this:
http://soundcloud.com/artifexstudios/artfx-dnb-project-2

And believe me, I've never touched, felt or used Reason before this last two weeks.

I checked out your tune, its amazingly well produced, i really love all the breaks in there and the neurofunky bass!

Hi all,

I am a complete noob, and want to create some DNB tracks in Reason 4. So far I'm slowly working my way through Lynda tutorials on how to use the s/ware.

I am looking for a tutor, who can tutor me Teamviewer/Skype to create drum and bass tracks. Is this possible or anyone up for it? I am thinking of paying in the region of £30/$50 per hour shipped via Paypal.

I have a nice setup - quad core PC, Sennheiser studio headphones, Asus STX sound card. I also have an Audiolab amp and Acoustic energy speakers.

Although never produced music, I do have a 'musical ear' according to my old school. I've been listening to DNB since 1991/1992 and respect LTJ Bukem / Logical Progression as the creme of DNB.

Would like to hear some feedback on where I go from here, or if there is a tutor out there for me.

Do your "homework" before you asking something like that ?!?
Seriously do you even have any intres to dnb production?
I just presume you even havent opend a webpage to look for dnb tutorials.
I feel pitty.

I hope you do understaind me what im trying to say.

Nope i read only 2 comments but i got furious about it .
Sorry

---------- Post added at 01:41 ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 ----------

And yes my english is raw.

Back
Top Bottom