Longer DJ sets!

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
Saw this thread on dnb arena!

http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37297

Some guy saying about when UK DJs play outside the UK they get like 2+ hr sets! Rider did a SIX hour set.

Now six hours is a bit extreme hehe, unless your loaded with dubs like mr Rider.

Some nights over here only give 45mins for a set (Slammin sometimes I think).

2hr sets all round! Saying that though, B2B for 2hrs is also a nice amount of time. I enjoy anything over 90mins + really, alone or B2B. Gives ya enough time to have some funnnnnnn!!!

>= 90mins == > *

yeah , everytime i go to Toronto headliner dj's play for 2h (1.5h) +++ sets,

ha ha we know that set is no set if its only 45-60 min,

if i would have to play somewhere i would want 2h to
beacuse i like to play tunes which cant be
mixed out ( ex. paradox- chords and dischords,some of GLO ,LGO releases,etc.) before breakedown simply beacuse they are to great to mix them out to early, not like this rolling tunes
where nothing happens in after breakedown(not that i dont like rolling D&B) . so i would need more time to create the atmosphere!

Last edited:
Six hours is too long lol.

I ain't a DJ so I wouldn't know how long it takes to cram all the latest tunes in and show off

:lol:

Maybe that's why most pirate stations have sets lasting 2 hours :crazy:

Well, I think it is.....

:cry::cry::cry:

It all depends on the situation I reckon. Pirate stations playing long sets is a bit different to in a club/rave, so you can't really compare...

From the ravers POV, when yer in a club you lose most perspective of time (I do anyway)! So 2 hr sets would be cool if they were more widespread...

Was it the Rider who played a 2hr set @ Broken Minds a few months back? That set fkin clattered me... Was one of the best sets I've heard played out tho from what I can remember, real tight mixing from the man like Rider (if it was him heheh)

I kinda wish I had a better short term memory :)

Originally posted by inf0r
Was it the Rider who played a 2hr set @ Broken Minds a few months back? That set fkin clattered me... Was one of the best sets I've heard played out tho from what I can remember, real tight mixing from the man like Rider (if it was him heheh)

I kinda wish I had a better short term memory :)

I don't think Rider has played for Broken Minds this year although I may be mistaken.

Think Andy C has done some 2hr sets for BM in the last few months. Don't quote me on that though. I've not reached for a while.......

:afro:

if your a proper dj you take people on musical journey. The longer the set the better the journey in my opinion. I recon 3-4 hours is about the right length for a set(especially if its techno).
Although dnb djs play like 5 places in one night charging a grand each, so they can only fit in an hour or so in each.

Originally posted by iamahistorian
if your a proper dj you take people on musical journey. The longer the set the better the journey in my opinion. I recon 3-4 hours is about the right length for a set(especially if its techno).
Although dnb djs play like 5 places in one night charging a grand each, so they can only fit in an hour or so in each.

i dont think dnb djs "do" the journey thing, granted you can start off on a mellow tip and end on a darkside tip, but most of em dont seem to do that, including me.

most dnb djs just rinse the dancefloor out, djs like andy c, fresh, loxy, dylan, they just caine the crowd with killers, over and over. when you think its over, they hit ya with another choon thats even better than the last! thats what makes a night for me. all about the tunes. even the rider on a two hour tip is sweet to hear!!

as i said in my previous post, 90 + mins is good for me, gives ya a chance to get through most of the new stuff in ya crate. once i get on the decks, i hate getting off them (bit like adam f eh m-code!! :lol:)

my 2 cents.

Hah!! Leeeeeeeeched from DOA......

Originally posted by fresh
I had this chat with Andy last year .. and we concluded that the solution to the 'big problem' (ie. the fact that you lot go out and end up hearing ten djs playing the same tunes) is to reduce the number of djs on the lineups and give them longer sets .. then they can go off on a journey that really represents them ... at the minute the promoters are just trying to cram as many people as possible on the flyer .. weve even been playing 40 minute sets!! (what the fuck is that about!), and as a result nobody wants to be the dj that played no big tunes and gets no reaction, so everybody just squeezes as many 'go off' tunes as possible into their tiny slot .. its a load of bullshit .. if you lot were to complain to your local promoters about short sets i reckon things would get a lot better ... but you cant blame this problem on the djs and the producers, because they are just doing there thing, they have no obligation to be anybody else but themselves when it comes to the music they play and make.

personally i spend my whole life in the studio on it 24/7 just so that i can at least play my own stuff and that way my set will sound different .. but what about the djs that arnt producers?

proper dillema man.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Im in agreement!

You have to look at the idea of longer sets from a number of different perspectives to fully understand why there arent more of them featured on nights in this country.

The nights that you are most likely to see a longer dj set at (by this i am talking 2hrs or more) are the more established nights that have less competition. When there is lot of competition and nights have to try hard to bring in the punters, the more a-list names that there are on the flyer the more likely that they are to break even and hopefully to make some $. This is also why you will see a lot of crowd pleasers (Andy C, Hype, Swift etc) on newer nights becasue they need to establish a name in order to keep the nite going. Its not easy to run a nite and the promoters cant always book exactly who they want to book everything needs to have some sort of balance to succeed. The more of a following you build up, the more adventurous you can be.

Personally i would love to see more longer sets because it allows the dj's to be such much more versatile and not juct be a whats what of the latest dubs and promos off the press. Im sick to death of anthem after anthem sets. What pisses me off most is that dj's will go out and play literally the same set week in week out for a month and still get booked... just because of their name. Unfortunetly this is just the way it is and it makes you appreciate the nites which do it a little differently such as Movement.

Its time from a change but unfortunetly again, it will have to begin with the big dogs. Just the way it is.

:shake:

Most otehr peoples techno* sets are dead boring, thats why I started buying my own records long ago.

(techno* being a blanket term for all 1985+ electronic dance)

Back
Top Bottom