Long vs Normal D+B Sets

mentalageof2

Hi All,

What are your thoughts on the mammoth sets many venues seem to be putting on at the moment.

Went to The End on Friday for what was billed as DJ Marky + Friends, turned out Patife played 3 hours and Marky played 4 1/2 hour set.
So more Marky and "friend".

I dont know if anyone else caught this but I was left feeling a bit bored by the Marky set.

Where I'm more used to the Bristol scene where lineups are more traditional i.e jam packed with sets of 45 mins to an hour. I find most DJ's playing this format have a well rounded set of bangin tunes. I seemed to me that Marky was just streching the set out and just playing every record in the box to fill the time.

I'm going to be in London 2 w/e in 4 now so will be checking out the scene up there a lot more, is this the usual format for London events, what does anyone else think of this format.

Only in the UK do djs play short sets.

Short sets result in djs repeating tunes on the same night because they can only drop stonking new dubplates which invevitably narrows the selection. If Andy has 45 mins to play, he's not going to drop the Nine... even if he wants to.

Short sets mean djs can't take the floor where they want. Some djs build for an hour or two before they reach their peak.

Shorts sets mean you can't really go on a musical journey and any change in mood or atmosphere will be violent rather than progressive.

Short sets mean that only floor storming fast dubplates get dropped without pause for the floor or the dj (they don't really need one though...).

If you're getting bored in a long set, go have a drink, chat to that bird, take a piss... it can't be floorstorming all the time.

Most djs I've spoken to love long sets and love playing them. I could not imagine playing for less than two hours myself.

4 hours is a bit long and a DJ has to have a big box and a shitload of energy to play for that long...

I hear what you are saying about creating a journey with the music, and 2 hours seams a good length.

Can't help thinking back tho to when way back in the day DJs like JJ Frost and Kenny Ken could pull a short set with the rest of them and still play half a set of tunes you've never heard. I think it was a good oprtunity for DJs like that to make a mark and stand out despite getting the same amount of time as everyone else who may be just banging out the usual floor fillers as you rightly say.

When it seems like half the world can beat mix its the kind of thing that gets you somewhere.

Both you guys make some valid points.........
I personally feel that 1hr an a half is more than enough for any DJ to make their "journey" felt and not too long so they get boring. I feel too long sets mean no variety but too short sets lead to slamming dub sets as said above.
I still play my :violin: for the days of hardcore and jungle in the same room one after the other!!!

I have to admit nearly all the big events seem to be short sets and everyone is consevative and plays all the 'must play ' tunes.....so ya hear tehm too many times...after all if you all play teh same u might as well hire 1 dj for teh whole night and give them a portao_O loo to sit on !!!!

I think only the more skilled djs can really pull off mammoth sets, but that when they do, they make for a much better night than the usual 1 hour, bash out hte biggest tunes style sets you get at most nights.

I reckon longer sets are the way foreward. Hopefully it'll convince some of the producers who try and blag it as djs not to bother too. Convince them to spend some more time in the studio.

Too many producers playing and not enough real djs getting the space & time they need to play.

Its a pity djs can't promote themselves without producing...

nah, two hours is the way forward i reckon.
Recently ive seen a few DJs doin 2h sets, and i think it works so much better.
and those where djs that i didnt think much off,
Clipz, Andy C, Pendulum, Hype, Fresh..
Yer, i know they all huge, and generally i dont like the stuff they are known for playing.
but after i saw em doin long set, they do drop some older stuff, and keep the cheese on a minimum..

yer, and i love playin loong sets..
3h set: gets you more fucked than any drug..! hic..

GorDo said:
Recently ive seen a few DJs doin 2h sets, and i think it works so much better.
and those where djs that i didnt think much off,
Clipz, Andy C, Pendulum, Hype, Fresh..
\

yeah man, when elHornet gets a 2 hour set he goes deep, doesnt start with bangers, but builds it up.

I dont think a lot of DJs have the skill to play a coherent 2 hr set, and many Melbourne DJs would bore me shitless doing that, excepting Fletch, Seven, Motive ....

I think an hour is fine, as long as the DJs are making an effort to be different to each other, rather than press anthems on the crowd. It is possible, but requires EFFORT.

Long sets or stfu.

When djs play 1-2 hour sets, there's only one way for a dj to go, and that is up and fast. Longer sets mean that you can build up a crowd, peak when you want it to, drop some difficult to thin the dancefloor, and then build it back up again.

Longest set I have played myself is 6 hours at Party In The Park in my homecity. The control you have when directing the crowd is so much more possible, because of the extensive window of time in which to craft your journey. You can't bang out a peaktime set for 6 hours, you'll burn the crowd and yourself out too quickly.

For the same reason I prefer to play a warm-up set for a peaktime dj, rather than play a peaktime set myself, because of the subtleness and control needed.

If a dj thinks that a 1-2 hour set of nothing but banging out anthems, they are missing the point of djing entirely (and unfortunately the majority it seems).

Last edited:
I think 1 and a half - 2 hours is perfect.

If I'm playing to a crowd that's not already having it then it can be a mission playing every surefire crowd puller you've got just to get things moving, having a longer set means you can get them going, then vary it a bit more.

I'm sick of going to all nighters where it's the same tunes over and over

Back
Top Bottom