>>>Londons first graffiti book!! - Crack and Shine

Sammy_Dodger

Mr Ed
VIP Junglist
I ordered my copy as soon as i heard about this!! A very well presented and informative book, nicely bound with excellent photographs and interviews.

http://www.crackandshine.com/

The first book dedicated purely to London graffiti.

ABOUT
11 08 2009

Graffiti is perpetually and increasingly a controversial subject dividing opinion and rousing powerful debate, yet almost nothing is known about the true motivations and inspirations of the artists themselves. Crack & Shine offers exclusive insight into this thriving contemporary sub-culture, gaining access to the personal stories of some of the most secretive, enigmatic and creative individuals to lurk in London’s shadows.

Featuring forty of the most exciting and prolific graffiti artists to have lived and painted in London, Crack & Shine is the only London graffiti book ever to be published. Also presenting the work of London-based photographer Will Robson-Scott, Crack & Shine includes a series of over 50 beautifully-composed photographs, created exclusively for the book; giving articulate and vivid insight into the awkward moments of waiting, the apprehension of hiding and the calm and stillness that comes with seeing the world from an altered perspective.

“The London graffiti scene was a closed and unforgiving one. Information was guarded.”
Dreph

“Dedicated to all [graffiti] writers, young and old, who feel the true energy in their hearts, be inspired not only by other art but by your heart and also by the nothingness, because out of nothing always comes something”
The Dirty Tunnel Bunny

“When compared to the visual internet presence of current urban artists one realises how times have changed. It really blows my mind how many incredible pieces of art have been painted on Tubes that were not photographed and are lost forever. It’s mad to look back on so many years of our lives that no one knows about.”
Elk

Joey AdhD

sweaty scouser
VIP Junglist
will check this, it will be a welcome break from my normal toilet reading of the VIZ annuals an Graffitti World, definite cystern papers right there.

Borf™

Borf
VIP Junglist
Someone scan it all in and post it up :teeth:

I'm kidding.

I might get this. Not massively intro graffiti as in doing it, but I love seeing it. Such a talent.

So really, is there any sick books about graffiti in general I should check, rather than one dedicated to London's scene?

CRoOK

Audio Artillery
VIP Junglist
Does it even exist an active trainscene in london? Can imagine trainbombers havin it hard these days in London... but then again, its getting hard everywhere.
London next to New York has been the hardest place to paint panels for years now. The governmant/train companies can make it as hard as they like to paint trains, and people will still do it, because its thier passion, and these people are militant. what will kill train painting is the zero tolerance policy of not letting painted trains run. i genuinly believe motorways will be the future of graffiti in england.

CRoOK

Audio Artillery
VIP Junglist

I'm kidding.

I might get this. Not massively intro graffiti as in doing it, but I love seeing it. Such a talent.

So really, is there any sick books about graffiti in general I should check, rather than one dedicated to London's scene?
pick up any issue of graphotism, theyre pretty pricey though. on a cheaper front you can sometimes track down a smaller graff maf called style file, only a fiver i think, seen them in Borders. Check out my mates site to
http://londonlegals.co.uk/

Sammy_Dodger

Mr Ed
VIP Junglist

I'm kidding.

haha ive got it already brof...

erm...id reccomend the following...

http://www.graphotism.com/

Sammy_Dodger

Mr Ed
VIP Junglist
London next to New York has been the hardest place to paint panels for years now. The governmant/train companies can make it as hard as they like to paint trains, and people will still do it, because its thier passion, and these people are militant. what will kill train painting is the zero tolerance policy of not letting painted trains run. i genuinly believe motorways will be the future of graffiti in england.
THIS

CRoOK

Audio Artillery
VIP Junglist
so true though, a prime example is Peas. ive seen the odd tag around,nothing a non-writer would notice. but EVERYONE knows him from his roller (now changed to "give peas a chance") on the M40 is it? or M25? Although there are fewer plots on motrways, painting lorries would be siick, they go all over the shop, and itd be a pile of piss.

Borf™

Borf
VIP Junglist
You're all a bunch of no good fucking vandals. I hope the police catch you all and make you scrub it all off with a tootbrush :teeth:

Seriously though, if I did catch you graffing on my lorry, I'd go mad.

CRoOK

Audio Artillery
VIP Junglist
You're all a bunch of no good fucking vandals. I hope the police catch you all and make you scrub it all off with a tootbrush :teeth:

Seriously though, if I did catch you graffing on my lorry, I'd go mad.
your not wrong :D and if you caught me youd get a 600ml burner chrome straight in the porkies. id finish my piece and disappear into the night....

CRoOK

Audio Artillery
VIP Junglist
<<<<<<<<<<<< Have you seen these shades??? You'd be weak against them

If porkies means eyes? haha
indeed, porky pies, eyes. i suppose your right, timmy mallets shades were specially designed to be non-adhesive so he could wipe away childrens residue. he affectionatly called them his spunk shields.

more graff talk please

ValleyOfLiquid

Royal cunt since '87
Basicly the same here in Stockholm. We got vandalsquads controling most of the yards and the endstations because of the backjumps we'll forced to do.
Safest way is actually to do a "emerencybreak" as we say. You better be fast and hope that theres no wannabeheros or crazy drivers 8)
The commuter trainscene is abit better because its a bigger net.
The subway tho is taken out of order directly, doesnt matter if its outsidebombs, panels or insides.
The government here got a zerovision on graffiti, EVERYWHERE. If the landlord or whoever that owns the building, doesnt buff it within 24 hours he might be fined.
Youre right about the highways... especially the buslines has been hit very hard... nice to see!

Emergency break on the greenline:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjgif96zLj8

CRoOK

Audio Artillery
VIP Junglist
friendly fire videos are awesome, big respect to WUFC and SDK. emergency breaks are practically unheard of over here. you seen Terror Fabulous?

Last edited: