Logic X + External MIDI Help

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
Hey Forum,

So I've run into a bit of a problem.

In the past, I've had my Virus B wired up with MIDI via my Novation SL49. I've never had a problem utilizing it in Logic 9, but something strange is happening in Logic X.

Logic X boots up fine and everything works. However, when I go to save a project or even try to bounce a file or open a project, Logic X freezes–no crash–just freezes permanently until I force quit. What makes this situation even more odd is that the minute I remove the 5Pin from the MIDI Out socket of the Virus B, everything is back to normal. The downside is that I'm unable to send any live automation from the hardware to Logic X due to the lacking connection.

I've done the following in a (failed) effort to remedy the problem:
  • Reset MIDI devices via Apple AMS
  • Delete Logic X .plist
  • Disable Automap (ie running the SL49 in MIDI only mode)
  • Create a new template from scratch
  • Utilize different MIDI channels
  • Remove the cabling from the "Sum" module in the MIDI Environment and connect a Cable from "Port 1" to the "Input."

If anyone has any suggestions or has run into the same problem, I'm all ears.

Cheers.

Dude you're like the most clued up Logic guy here, I recon you should try KVR or Gearsluts for this if you havent already?

Try clicking off any regions, go to the inspector and make sure that Delay, Dynamics, Gate time etc (all of them) are set to normal (either 0 or 100% or whatever the equivalent standard is). I found that one of Logic's early bugs was to set very strange values on some of these. Worth a try!

Try clicking off any regions, go to the inspector and make sure that Delay, Dynamics, Gate time etc (all of them) are set to normal (either 0 or 100% or whatever the equivalent standard is). I found that one of Logic's early bugs was to set very strange values on some of these. Worth a try!

Good suggestion, but this problem is much deeper as there is something going on that is causing my MIDI to send infinite data when in a null state. Though I have a theory I'm going to try this evening.

Cheers though, I appreciate the input.

No worries man, I did think that my solution was for a different problem but always worth a try. If you get the Midi overload warning after trying to play some recently recorded midi, do try that cos it sometimes works!
Peace

UPDATE: SOLVED

After running the Virus B in my other DAWs, there was something going on that was causing the MIDI Out of the Virus B to send infinite SysEx messages which essentially was overloading AMS. After going into the Virus and switching the Device ID from 1 to 2, and then back to 1, the infinite SysEx sending stopped and now everything is back to normal.

I'm not sure if this is a Mavericks issue or a Virus B issue, but if you happen to run into the same symptoms try toggling your Device ID from your hardware.

Back
Top Bottom