Logic vs Ableton Ram Usage (Myth)

Eternaloptimist

VIP Junglist
hey guys
i have a question. i recently moved to ableton and have realised that that my computer can handle more tracks, instruments, fx etc
i have both set the say way (buffer rate etc)
am i imagining things though? also another thing, i just find ableton so fast to work with and getting ideas down. could be just me again-- so has anyone experienced this? anyone moved from logic to ableton?

I'm using both (with Ableton being the most recent purchase). There are certain things I notice that open faster–3rd party plugins/synths for example. And of course opening Ableton takes about 1/2 the time it takes for Logic to open (even faster since my primary boot drive is a SSD).

I guess one could speculate that it may appear to be faster since the entire program requires you to think a bit differently in terms of writing the various parts of your tune (which I've really begun to enjoy!) and since you're used to dealing with large regions instead of clips it may seem like your workflow is sped up. (Sidenote: I really LOVE the per clip automation or "envelopes" as I believe it's referred to).

In terms of actual CPU speed utilization as it relates to each program, I really don't have any evidence to support if one is faster than the other or capable of supporting more tracks. Perhaps making use of the clips that contain the variation of your content instead of multiple instances of audio regions is saving CPU, allowing you to add more tracks. I have yet to download the 64bit beta of Ableton (because I'm lazy), but I find that even with a 32bit environment it still handles rather well.

As a side note, the one thing I hope Ableton introduces is more flexibility with regards to sends/bus etc., as me and msmith222 drum routing tends to get pretty complex.

Right now, I've been creating my ideas in Ableton, then export the parts and start to flesh it out using Logic. It really has been a breath of fresh air in terms of writing music with a different mindset...but I digress.

Last edited:
/\ What he said.

And semi-offtopic: Regarding the per clip automation can you actually manage to migrate the clip envelopes into the arrangement automation envelopes? That's the one drawback I've noticed is I can have two instances of automations for the same parameter running once I copy a clip over to the arrange view; it can get confusing.

/\ What he said.

And semi-offtopic: Regarding the per clip automation can you actually manage to migrate the clip envelopes into the arrangement automation envelopes? That's the one drawback I've noticed is I can have two instances of automations for the same parameter running once I copy a clip over to the arrange view; it can get confusing.

Good question that I'm afraid I don't know the answer to (but hope someone else does) as my Ableton skills aren't quite up to par with my Logic skills. What I usually do is bounce down the automated sample once I'm happy with it and dump it back into the project...I've always run into trouble when using multiple automation instances/lanes in that it becomes a pain to figure out what is automating what.

can you actually manage to migrate the clip envelopes into the arrangement automation envelopes? That's the one drawback I've noticed is I can have two instances of automations for the same parameter running once I copy a clip over to the arrange view; it can get confusing.

Long time ago I did request to the Ableton support if one day they will introduce a sort of "paste special", in a way to copy an envelope and add to an existing written envelope without overwriting.

They reply suggesting to write a note on wishlist thread of Ableton forum and pray that it will become reality... lol

Yes, it's a bit confusing that "hidden" way to handle clip automation and arrangement automation. Although, in same cases can create even interesting unvolontary mutations, but still, most of time quite annoying.
What I use to do usually is to select the automation that I want to migrate from the clip, cut it (ctrl_x) and paste it into the parameter lane of the arrangement.

i just find ableton so fast to work with and getting ideas down. could be just me again-- so has anyone experienced this? anyone moved from logic to ableton?

I'll never stop to raccomand Ableton for any use, from live perfomance, to recreational studio jam, to superfast sketch pad for ideas...
I'm tryin to convince also my flatmate, he still doesn't want to move from Logic...

I remember when 7 years ago I moved from Cubase SX2 and Reason 3 to Live. I didn't trust at all that poor grey GUI. Everything was looking shit and I couldn't find many simple things.
Cubase was way too heavy and complex, with load of sub-menu and setting..
While Live is one interface with easy shortcuts and brilliantly performance dedicated sw.
Once I started to understand the workflow of Live, I would never ever go back to a Cubase or a Logic!!!

It's the same concept as when you come from Windows and finally decide to work on Mac... So much easy life and inspirational and light!
It reminds me a bit of the old boy Sonic Foundry ACID, even the color and the time stretch/warping. I guess the guys at ableton they've been stealing the best features from different DAW's workflow (e.g. the Slice to New Midi Track= same workflow of Dr. Rex of Reason, actually even better!).

I <3 Live!

Back
Top Bottom