Logic users ..

EWOKS

POTATOES GONNA POTATE
VIP Junglist
ok , so ive been looking into getting a mac .. and ill be using Logic ... can you put your own firewire wire card in a mac ? so i can use my audio interface , mic ect ...

cheers peoplez

im gunna get back into it dan , need a new comp .. and thinking of getting a mac ...

i want a desktop fortune .. and my audio interface will work best with my firewire card as its a texas instruments one . i dont know anything about macs .. can you upgrade them and add stuff to then like a normal desktop pc .. or are macs a solid unit that cant have stuff added ??

Solid unit mate, I'm producing on my laptop, waiting to upgrade to a mac pro. Once you've got a half decent mac desktop you'll be laughing mate.

Do you use aim or anything like that? could have a proper convo.

Theres a few bits and pieces you can add, but a lot less available than with PC's. Any of the new Mac desktops will come with firewire though, my old G4's got 2 firewire 400 ports.

im pretty sure the mac book pro doesnt come with firewire but my standard macbook does. just check the spec when buying. im sure the apple website has all the info dude.

thanks people, i want to be able to put a texas instruments firewire card in my mac ..

so if i cant do this .. ill just get a decent p.c..

thanks people, i want to be able to put a texas instruments firewire card in my mac ..

so if i cant do this .. ill just get a decent p.c..

Why is it you want to use that particular card mate? If you've got a firewire interface that supports a mac surely it'll be fine in any firewire port?

supposedly my Audio Interface, according to Focusrite Saffire, after many tests .. it has shown far better proformace using Texas Instruments as its chipset ..

so i bought a £50 quid Texas Instraments Firewire card, designed specifically for music production .. so coz it cost me that, and i cant really return it , and becuase it will make my audio interface the best it can be .. i would like to make use of it ..

In all honesty Im a Apple addict so please understand that Im am going to be 100% biased, However! Since Apple moved over to intel processors they've come a hell of a long way, same with Logic, Logic Studio was very slated although they're just about to release Logic Pro Studio 9 and in this months Computer Music mag they've awarded it 10/10 and said as it stands at the moment this is best DAW available, considering how many Instruments and FX units come in the package and the fact the price is now far lower than what it cost a few years back its a steal, and when you weigh this up with the fact that over all you may pay more for the machine you'll make up for this with the saving on logic. Ontop of all this I love the fact that all the efforts with Logics developers are soley spent on a Mac whereas with Cubase its both platform's. Another this I love being an internet user is the fact that 99% of viruses are made to attack windows so you can happily use your Mac for production and browsing and feel a lot safer than if it were on a PC. Basically like I said I am biased, I used PC's for years before moving over but I wish now I had made the move sooner. Also in regards to the Firewire question, New Macbooks don't have it if my memory serves me correctly however I have one of the older intel ones and they do have a Firewire port however I have an old Intel Imac and a 2.16 Intel Macbook and even though the Macbook is more powerful I never use it for music unless Im travelling, ontop of that a Laptop will cost a lot more than a desktop with the same spec. Sorry if this is longwinded and uncalled for but hopefully you will find this some help in your descision ( ;

ps. I dont work for apple, Simply a happy customer

okay, so it's early and i cant read the above post because it looks like a single sentence, but i promise you that soundcard is NOT WORTH this decision. the computer is far more important, and the benefits of any new mac running snow leopard FAR FAR outweigh any advantage you get from that sound card. just get the mac!!!!

Everytime I hear a mac user talking it's as if they are trying to justify their switch. Any computer tech worth their money will tell you PC>Mac.

Want to use logic? Fair enough, it's an amazing daw no doubt about it but don't try make it seem as if the rest of your mac is amazing.

And I don't get this overemphasis on stability. My PC has been "Just Working" for the last 2 years, never crashes, I didn't have to sell my family to pay for it and it's not got shit hardware inside it.

OMG my mac doesn't crash. OMG Apple are the only company putting out software. They amount to the same thing.

I just can't take reading another post by mac users, you know you're shit stink as well.

Oh and for the record, i've ran Logic on a PC and it worked absolutely fine.

That may be true, but while the computer techs tell you this, most studio engineers worth their money will tell you the other way round.

Fair enough, so you are telling me that the only reason to get a mac is the ability to use logic (which i've used on a PC) and stability (Which has never been a problem for me)?

I can't wait to spend double on inferior hardware.

I'm not ranting, i'm trying to come to grips with this mac obsession everyone has.

okay, so it's early and i cant read the above post because it looks like a single sentence, but i promise you that soundcard is NOT WORTH this decision. the computer is far more important, and the benefits of any new mac running snow leopard FAR FAR outweigh any advantage you get from that sound card. just get the mac!!!!

right, i got a rode k2 mic ... cost me £550 squid ...

spent weeks/months researching the best audio interface to work and bring the most out of it with my voice, spoke to some bloke for ages, listened to different recordings, fianlly iwent with the focusrite .. bout £300

next for optimum performance with my focusrite audio interface many people, including focusrite and a music engineer firend on a forum said make sure i get texas instruments to get the most out my saffire, people think any firewire will work... this is true, but not all will give best results, so i got one ..

so spending over a grand on mic, monitors, audio interface, firewire card ..

obviously i want to use all .. why spend all that on mic , A.I. ect.. then cop out with an average Firewire card.. may aswell have the dogs bollox if i get everything else decent ..

so yea, need to make use of all my ger, and if a mac wont let me, ill have to get a decent computer ..

i do appreciate what your saying mate. just paranoid i suppose, that if i use an old firewire card, my A.I. wont be up to its best standard, which means my mic and recordings wont ..

cheers for advice tho .. hopefully i can add this card to my mac somehow , gunna call them at somepoint.

Fair enough, so you are telling me that the only reason to get a mac is the ability to use logic (which i've used on a PC) and stability (Which has never been a problem for me)?

I can't wait to spend double on inferior hardware.

I'm not ranting, i'm trying to come to grips with this mac obsession everyone has.

You say stabiltys not been a problem, fair enough, but it depends on the sort of work your doing.

I've had decent PC's and never found them as much use, so I decided to stick to using a mac.

As for spending double, by the time you've added all the bits and pieces you want/need to a pc, its not much cheaper than buying a mac.

Its all about what you prefer at the end of the day, and I've found macs to be much more suited to what Im doing. I'm not saying people with PC's are "wrong", everyone works with what they want.

ok , so ive been looking into getting a mac .. and ill be using Logic ... can you put your own firewire wire card in a mac ? so i can use my audio interface , mic ect ...

cheers peoplez

it should come with a firewire port mate..

Back
Top Bottom