Logic Sampler Question

Discussion in 'Production' started by Eternaloptimist, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

hey guys.
    i have a question about the logic sampler. i have bounced a snare reverb and i want to use a short bit of it on loop in the sampler. for some reason the sampler only plays the short lil bit that i cut. also, it is not recognizing the fades i put at the start and end to avoid clicks and pops. i have tried messing with the adsr on the sampler but no luck.
    so basically i want to play ...say a sustained pad from my 2 second clip. how do i do this?

cheers

2. Prideinyouride

Prideinyouride Member

With the clipping check the audio and make sure you bounced it correctly, you should be able to audition it in your bin and see if the clicks are there or not. Once the files sorted drag it into the edit window of your sampler, scroll to the right hand side of the edit page and you'll see "LOOP" turn that on, then mess around with the sample IN and OUT settings. That's as much help as I can be.

3. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

If you used the "Bounce in Place" for that snare, try doing just a regular bounce. I've found that sometimes "Bounce in Place" doesn't always behave as expected much to my dismay. Also, be sure to include the tail when bouncing since that reverb will most likely add one.

Once you've got the sample ready, do the following:
    1. Drag the new sample from your bin into the EXS24 editor window.
    2. Now double-click the file. This will open up the EXS24 sample editor.
    3. Set the start/end points using the loop zone tool at the bottom of the editor window. I like to have the "loop" play button active so I can audition and adjust the loop zone in real time.
    4. Once you've set the loop points, go to Edit>Sample Loop.
    5. Now go to Edit>"Write Sample Loop to Audio File."

The loops values should now be added to the header, and when you return to the EXS24 editor window (where you dragged your sample to originally) you should see the values of the "Loop Start/End" and should now be able to play a note endlessly.

Admittedly, I don't have Logic open right now and may have forgotten a step. If you run into a problem let me know or check this out.

While Kontakt is quickly growing on me, the EXS24's straightforward approach holds a special place in my production heart...hopefully they will add the ability to "stretch" samples a la Kontakt "Time Machine" with the next version of the EXS24, as this is the one area it falls short in.

Cheers.

4. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

^ never knew that! Nice one!

5. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Glad to help out! :) I actually stumbled across this method by accident and quickly thought of the amount of time this approach would have saved me in past projects lol.

I've pretty much determined that there's lots of potential "hidden" time saving techniques in Logic that are just buried in submenus or worded in a manner that makes no (pardon the pun) Logical sense.

Cheers.