Logic Meters Question

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Hi guys.

Just wondering... in you mixer in Logic, if you exceed the 0db limit on the tracks is it really bad to do that?

I understand that it distorts the sound a fraction but other than that, what does it do?

Ive had my kick and snare pushing right up in the reds for ages but as long as my main output is always below that it doesnt matter surely?

yeah logic is actually really touching with clip distortion i wouldn't recommended it try to keep it low in the mixer so the majority is green then you can just limit it on the master and it will be loud and you wont be clipping

Well it depends....
Never have your master meter clipping.
Ive found that having a snare bus clipping at about +1 DB that you get slight distortion but abit of drive aswell.
Apparently Break does a similar thing to this aswell.
Also if some of your gains are peaking on an anologue mixer its add a 'natural' compression to the peaking tracks.

Also, if you do not have a decent audio interface you cannot monitor distortion accurately.
Ive made projects in class at college (which just uses the imac sound card) then gone into the studio there and there has been a fair bit of distortion.

So to be safe just don't have any gains clipping.

Oh yeah have the master levs peaking at around -6 to be safe and have headroom for the master engineer to work his/her magic (if you plan to get it mastered)

Last edited:
Ive found that having a snare bus clipping at about +1 DB that you get slight distortion but abit of drive aswell.
Apparently Break does a similar thing to this aswell.
I was just thinking this was i was in class and they were talking about over driving mixers couldn't this make it so every daw and mixer would have a unique clip distortion sound ?

OK thanks guys. But yeah... you dont recommend clipping a drum bus for instance... it seems to give me a lot more drive in my tracks...

you might for a certain sound , but i would recommend bouncing it then turning it down so your not clipping on the main

Back
Top Bottom