Logic & Ghost Notes

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
Just wondering if any of you guys knows if Logic is capable of showing "ghost" notes like FL Studio can. I was at a friends who runs FL Studio and he showed me this cool music theory-like trick where he makes a midi track of the notes in the scale he wants to use by using really long notes and then he can see "ghost images" of those notes on other channels when he's writing out his sequence. Those of you FL Studio users will know what I'm talking about.

I was wondering if there was a way to do this with Logic, whether as an official way or a work around that someone discovered. I've tried making making long notes, selecting them and muting them in piano roll but that doesn't work.

Anyone know a way?

a ghost note is just a quiet note. So just turn down the level in the mix. You normally use ghosts for drums tho, like kicks, snares etc..

With the piano roll open on a track you want to start working on, to get the notes of another track/s in that window as you just got to arrange window and hold Shift and click on the part of the track you wana see. you can keep onholding shift and select and deselect any part as you want. hope that makes sense. if not when im home i'll take a few screen shots

coming to think of it you may have to freeze the track so that you can't edit the "ghost" notes so to speak. will check later.

With the piano roll open on a track you want to start working on, to get the notes of another track/s in that window as you just got to arrange window and hold Shift and click on the part of the track you wana see. you can keep onholding shift and select and deselect any part as you want. hope that makes sense. if not when im home i'll take a few screen shots

coming to think of it you may have to freeze the track so that you can't edit the "ghost" notes so to speak. will check later.

Thanks! It works, kinda. Seems you can't use the trick in the pop out piano roll but it'll work in the one attached to the arrange window. Freezing the reference track doesn't work as when you have it selected along with the track you want to edit it sees both as being frozen. You can't draw the notes in directly on top either, you've got to draw in an adjacent space and move it where you want it. Cool thing though is if you color your midi regions change piano roll view from "Velocity Colors" to "Region Colors" and you can see all of your selected sequences in whatever color you've made them. Kind of a pain, but still a nice work around to a feature that seems to be absent from Logic.

Back
Top Bottom