Logic 9 & Korg SP-250

JamesZero

aka Zero Beats
VIP Junglist
I spoke to Mattix about this the other day and he was a great help, but I just don't have much of a clue about Logic and couldn't get my head round it, so I thought rather than keep bugging him I would start a thread about it...

Firstly I'm actually posting this on behalf of a friend of mine. I am a Cubase user. He recently brought himself a Korg SP-250 synthasizer and a copy of Logic 9.

The synth has midi outputs but he is running this into his Macbook so he purchased a midi to USB cable.

He would like to be able to record what he is playing on the synth into logic. I don't know if this would be recorded as midi or audio? I tried adding a midi instrument track in Logic and the machine is picking up "USB Midi" but I can't get it to work at all. How do we go about setting this up?

Mattix was saying about using an AUX chanel as well, but I couldn't get my head round it.

As I say I'm not a Mac or a Logic user so this has left me pretty stumped! Any help would be massively appreciated!

You need to be using an audio track. Take the output from the Synth and plug in into the input on the soundcard/laptop. I'd use an external soundcard to record it though as the onboard sound on macbooks isn't great. Lots of latency issues.

All the midi will be recording is the key strokes not the audio.

You need to be using an audio track. Take the output from the Synth and plug in into the input on the soundcard/laptop. I'd use an external soundcard to record it though as the onboard sound on macbooks isn't great. Lots of latency issues.

All the midi will be recording is the key strokes not the audio.

I was thinking about going down that route... but when he brought it all they told him that this Midi to USB cable would allow him to use it like an instrument in Logic, which I think is more what he wants to do. Although the more I think about it the more I don't think that's actually possible with this synth... hmmm...

For it to work as an instrument I'm pretty sure you'll need an sound interface that has software with it, otherwise it will only be audio like Gunman said.. Dont hold me to that tho, im still a newbit too.

All the midi to usb cable will do is allow you to use the synth's keyboard and knobs to control the synths and instruments in Logic.

Back
Top Bottom