DnB Living the Dream - Need advices :)

Hi guys so I recently re-listened to the VA Chronicles of the Deep vol1 and I had forgotten how good those kind of deep / liquid sounds makes me feel. So I get tired of those nasty wobbles and shit and wanted to try to make a more chilled track.

So here you go, I really need advices since its my first one in that kind of genre, dont know if the change match with the first part? Anyways any feedback is rly appreciated like always :)

peace

Well it is chill. That bass is smooth and sexy. I think with how well the mix sound on my end you have plenty of room to add some more effects like possibly panning your hats a bit. Or letting the evelope on your bass open up every once in awile. Nice track man thanks for posting.

Thank you man you're like almost the only one answering to my threads each time :D

Hi-hats are actually panned. Can't look to the project atm, not at home, but I have like, 3 tracks of hi hats, which are 2 audio loops cutted & highpassed, and 1 midi track so I can have more control. And I doubled those 3 tracks and panned them, like -25 +25 , -40 +40 etc, i dont know if u see, i'm talkin about the little wheel in Logic that allows you to pan the tracks :P
But yeah, I have also this impression that I have a lot of space available in the mix, especially in the first drop. I'm just so afraid of adding new elements, I dont want to like overcharge it and making it messy, or destroy the chill feeling it has. I'd love to find some vocals but I'm not really used to work with vocals yet, and I'm afraid to just throw random vocals not in key that would completely ruins the mix...

Anyways thanks a lot for answering, u always answer to my threads, I like you haha :p

cheers

Thank you man you're like almost the only one answering to my threads each time :D

Hi-hats are actually panned. Can't look to the project atm, not at home, but I have like, 3 tracks of hi hats, which are 2 audio loops cutted & highpassed, and 1 midi track so I can have more control. And I doubled those 3 tracks and panned them, like -25 +25 , -40 +40 etc, i dont know if u see, i'm talkin about the little wheel in Logic that allows you to pan the tracks :P
But yeah, I have also this impression that I have a lot of space available in the mix, especially in the first drop. I'm just so afraid of adding new elements, I dont want to like overcharge it and making it messy, or destroy the chill feeling it has. I'd love to find some vocals but I'm not really used to work with vocals yet, and I'm afraid to just throw random vocals not in key that would completely ruins the mix...

Anyways thanks a lot for answering, u always answer to my threads, I like you haha :p

cheers
I was just trying to give an example of what you could do with space. I do not hink you need more elements just that I think you have the know how to do more with what you already have. As far as comments go. I enjoy listening and you should to. There is a lot of information here and we all could use more advice in life. If you keep posting on other peoples tracks sooner or later they will postback too.

yes thats why I keep posting, I dont mind if people dont respond a lot thats life, if I got only one advice like yours its totally worth it ! It was more like a way to thank you to answer that to complain tbh, i'm not complaining at all, this forum is gold, and yes I enjoy listening to other ppl tracks, although it sometimes bring me down cause then I start thinking that my productions are pretty lame haha :)

I'm not very familiar or sure of what I'm doing when I pan my tracks to be honnest. I'm working with headphones atm cause my speakers are at a friends house, and on top of that there like 50€ speakers so really not that good. When I pan i try to double the track, and pan both tracks on the same number of panning in opposite directions.

In that track I tried to pan like half of the elements, in a range that goes from -10 +10 to maximum pannin which is -63 +63 in logic i believe. Should I use expander, envelopper, or stereo modulations effects?

I'm gonna try to add some vocals samples to spice it up a bit. Maybe add some breaks of drums w/e bass throwin random 3-4 more notes see what it leads me too.

Do you (or anyone else) has some good startin point as it comes to work with vocals ? Does a Pitch Correction is good or should I try to pitch the whole original vocal?
Again sorry for all those questions, may sound stupid, but I'm like gettin to a point I have a little bit of basics and theres so many things I'm wonderin about and I've got no Internet or IRL friend that are really into musical production, so you guys are basically my only source of advices and feedbacks.

Sorry for long post and thanks you again :)

I really like it. Great bass, awesome sounds and I really like the pads.

How did you go about producing them? Specifically at 2:58 :)

Well theres like 10 different tracks for the notes, half of them is doubled for panning so there's like 15 tracks playing for the sounds, theres also like 10 different tracks for drums and sounds like cymbals, reverse cymbals etc. I've got 30 different tracks at the end.

Most of the sounds are made with NI Massive or NI Absynth. For most of them, I just checked presets and then modified enveloppes, lfos, to lead them to what I wanted too, also putting reverb and delay / echo etc.

At 2:58 whats running on is a "main" pad with the chords, 6-7 different other midi massive / absynth tracks that comes in progressively and following the main pad chords for most of them, along with hi hats, reverse cymbals and modulated white noise... Thats about it :)

I really want to work on adding some vocals samples right now... think it could be great !

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated :)

peace

yes thats why I keep posting, I dont mind if people dont respond a lot thats life, if I got only one advice like yours its totally worth it ! It was more like a way to thank you to answer that to complain tbh, i'm not complaining at all, this forum is gold, and yes I enjoy listening to other ppl tracks, although it sometimes bring me down cause then I start thinking that my productions are pretty lame haha :)

I'm not very familiar or sure of what I'm doing when I pan my tracks to be honnest. I'm working with headphones atm cause my speakers are at a friends house, and on top of that there like 50€ speakers so really not that good. When I pan i try to double the track, and pan both tracks on the same number of panning in opposite directions.

In that track I tried to pan like half of the elements, in a range that goes from -10 +10 to maximum pannin which is -63 +63 in logic i believe. Should I use expander, envelopper, or stereo modulations effects?

I'm gonna try to add some vocals samples to spice it up a bit. Maybe add some breaks of drums w/e bass throwin random 3-4 more notes see what it leads me too.

Do you (or anyone else) has some good startin point as it comes to work with vocals ? Does a Pitch Correction is good or should I try to pitch the whole original vocal?
Again sorry for all those questions, may sound stupid, but I'm like gettin to a point I have a little bit of basics and theres so many things I'm wonderin about and I've got no Internet or IRL friend that are really into musical production, so you guys are basically my only source of advices and feedbacks.

Sorry for long post and thanks you again :)
You got the wrong idea. Your production is better than many people on here and many people are better than you. Do not ever fell bad just share information, for instance on the waffle telling me about the wine. That was good info because I would of never known some of the stuff you said, and you help comfirm my pleasure in Malbec Wines. Your mixing is better than mine, and my speakers suck too. That is why we post and comment.
Any way, you could always assign a single hat, or chop up a high passed break, and give one hat a complete right pass and another a complete left pass. While still having a mono high pass break in the middle.

As far as vocal go. I once set a vocal loudest as an equal stereo part. I then took the same sample used stereo widener, and then pan one sample to left. After that used a different setting with the stereo widner on the right(just like on the left). To give a bit more dynamic to the vocal I pitch it up an octive a put it very low in the mix then did another one at a 5th and 3rd notes to make harmonics. I played that at selected times. When I was finished setting up the vocal stucture. I went and chopped out key words that had emphasis in the song. I put a triplet delay on them and had them repeat kinda low to give a little more of a driving feeling. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You got the wrong idea. Your production is better than many people on here and many people are better than you. Do not ever fell bad just share information, for instance on the waffle telling me about the wine. That was good info because I would of never known some of the stuff you said, and you help comfirm my pleasure in Malbec Wines. Your mixing is better than mine, and my speakers suck too. That is why we post and comment.
Any way, you could always assign a single hat, or chop up a high passed break, and give one hat a complete right pass and another a complete left pass. While still having a mono high pass break in the middle.

As far as vocal go. I once set a vocal loudest as an equal stereo part. I then took the same sample used stereo widener, and then pan one sample to left. After that used a different setting with the stereo widner on the right(just like on the left). To give a bit more dynamic to the vocal I pitch it up an octive a put it very low in the mix then did another one at a 5th and 3rd notes to make harmonics. I played that at selected times. When I was finished setting up the vocal stucture. I went and chopped out key words that had emphasis in the song. I put a triplet delay on them and had them repeat kinda low to give a little more of a driving feeling. Hope this helps.

Yeah man helps a lot, thanks !! Now i gotta find the sample that fit in :)

Thanks a lot for your help

Well theres like 10 different tracks for the notes, half of them is doubled for panning so there's like 15 tracks playing for the sounds, theres also like 10 different tracks for drums and sounds like cymbals, reverse cymbals etc. I've got 30 different tracks at the end.

Most of the sounds are made with NI Massive or NI Absynth. For most of them, I just checked presets and then modified enveloppes, lfos, to lead them to what I wanted too, also putting reverb and delay / echo etc.

At 2:58 whats running on is a "main" pad with the chords, 6-7 different other midi massive / absynth tracks that comes in progressively and following the main pad chords for most of them, along with hi hats, reverse cymbals and modulated white noise... Thats about it :)

I really want to work on adding some vocals samples right now... think it could be great !

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated :)

peace

Thanks for the detailed explanation man! You did well :)

What kind of vocals are you looking for?

Thanks for the detailed explanation man! You did well :)

What kind of vocals are you looking for?

You're welcome, thanks to you for listening !

I think I might look for some aerian female vocals samples, like phrases or some syllabic vocalise... I'm not really confident on workin with vocals yet, not enough experience but i'll give it a go... I think its all about finding the right sample, pitchin it and eq it correctly... I'll see what i can get out of it :)

You're welcome, thanks to you for listening !

I think I might look for some aerian female vocals samples, like phrases or some syllabic vocalise... I'm not really confident on workin with vocals yet, not enough experience but i'll give it a go... I think its all about finding the right sample, pitchin it and eq it correctly... I'll see what i can get out of it :)

Ah nice man! Sounds like it would suite well. Looking forward to the end result!

Sure I'll get back to you with the result but i'm struggling hard with finding the right vocals, anything I try dont seem to fit well... Really having hard time working with vocals, they dont seems in key or just dont fit with the vibe. I try to pitch correct them but that often lead me to an annoying "vocoder" sound... Idk :p

Back
Top Bottom