Little tip for keying drums

Esoterix86

heres a little tip id like to share
keying a kick drum has always been a nightmare for me but recently ive discovered this technique that just gets straight to the point. Put your drum sample in any sampler and call up a decent spectral analyser, I use voxengo span, the low frequency inspection preset is just insane. Push the attack up on the sampler to between 60 to 80ms, this will skip the attack leaving the fundamental (low end) frequency and then bring the attack back to 0 and take away the sustain and release to 0 also this will give you the frequency of the attack stage of the sample. From there you could use the circle of fifths to verify the key of your sample.

54158559.jpg

heres a little tip id like to share
keying a kick drum has always been a nightmare for me but recently ive discovered this technique that just gets straight to the point. Put your drum sample in any sampler and call up a decent spectral analyser, I use voxengo span, the low frequency inspection preset is just insane. Push the attack up on the sampler to between 60 to 80ms, this will skip the attack leaving the fundamental (low end) frequency and then bring the attack back to 0 and take away the sustain and release to 0 also this will give you the frequency of the attack stage of the sample. From there you could use the circle of fifths to verify the key of your sample.
By the way that is a great tip. Sometime we are just jokes in here.

from what I undertstand, the transient of any sound equals the "instant of one object hitting another". In a kick, it's the pedal hitting the mallet of the drum. This transient (I may be wrong) don't have a definite pitch. Then, what is called "tail" of the kick is what will give the whole sound it's pitch and is what you should keep your eyes and ears in full attention when tuning them to the rest of the song.

At least, that's how I do when making music. Also, I don't stick with only the kick matching the key of the song: I also use the 5th and the 3rd of the root note for some great results (depending on the scale I'm using for the song).

Back
Top Bottom