Liquid things: Rooftops & Floating Funk

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by kama, Oct 18, 2010.

1. kama

kama benkama.net

Unsigned, and only clips, but tell me what you think!

:bone:

2. T Leaf

T Leaf Neighbourhood Sickhead

god damn kama, i really like rooftops it just sounds great mate.

3. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Rooftops is nice man, perhaps a tiny variation in the drums would be about all I'd change with it.

Floating funk is nice but I think the bass is too squelchy for the vibe of the tune. I like what you're going for though.

4. Protoplasym

Protoplasym Nuskool

"Rooftops" - Intro is very solid. Love the BPing of the Bass and the way you worked that into the version with the Sub in it. The Melodies are wonderful.. patch selection is class. Sub is banging.

I'm not sure what's going on but the PERC isn't Punching through like I'd expect. I think something's up with my ears today though. I like what you've done with the PERC... sounds and sequencing are cool (very steppy but full of continuity as well).

"Floating Funk" - Definitely funky this... right off the bat I'm thinking this isn't going to be my cup.

Intro works. 00:44/00:45 - You've got to add another Hat Layer there imo! Make it lead right into that Swirly Pad Fill sound that starts around 00:55ish.

The KD and Bass are thumping just right. SD has a nice thick 'thump' to it.

Ha, after listening to this twice in a row... it has already grown on me. Very Summer feeling tune this! It's almost Halloween... you need to switch gears, Mate : )

just teasin

Great stuff overall! You shouldn't have any issues getting these two signed imo.

Are you gonna be around when I post my "Bowser" track here in the coming weeks? Looking forward to hearing your dissection of it. : ) It's at 180!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  5. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

both really good, when listening to them theres nothing that sounds badly out of place or in need of much tweakin at all. i like floating funk alot man, rooftops also good. both very impressive

6. kama

kama benkama.net

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check it out when you post!

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Cheers mate, but can I ask you to elaborate... What do you mean by 'squelchy'? Doesnt translate to finnish quite well I'm afraid :D

7. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Love the over saturated bass tone in rooftops, cool vibe all round there. Could hear room for a faster hat pattern coming in later, just taste.

FF. liking the sub and the vibe. That guitar is cool, how did you get that? Sounds like a real player jamming in. Nice.

Tip top.

8. kama

kama benkama.net

It was a real cut/paste & slice/dice operation I tell you. I had a sample pack of various different jammin type guitar licks and wah wah stuff, played from different keys. Sliced them into single 'hits' and just trial'd and error'd my way there. Not a big deal when you know the key. 11 loop samples in total used. I'll even upload the pack for you people!

There u go: http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?109492-Some-guitar-samples-for-you-all&p=928273#post928273

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  9. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

very strange i thought i had commented these already. anyways, really feeling these mate, the first tune is so original and its deep, pure vibes, same can be said for the second one, amazingly clean production, smooth, relaxing, everything you need right thur... superb!! love how youv workd that wah guitar in :)

10. kama

kama benkama.net

Floating Funk is in the new Kmag podcast as the showcased unsigned track. :D

11. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

correct me if im wrong, but is rooftops made from (mostly) beatboxed drums etc? the whole track i can imagine being beatboxed sounds fucking wicked

Think i commented on floating funk before :)

good work man!

12. kama

kama benkama.net

Thanks. Yeah you're right, it does have a beatbox kit layered in, but only in the drums. I did try to match the tone of the bass to it though, so the beatboxing was really an inspiration to it. I used the same break that I attached to this thread.