[liquid] lasiien - Farewell

yeah i like this man, very unique sound, nice and chilled out. drum rhythm is wicked. i agree about the snare though, could do with a bit more high end, and a bit more prescence in the mix, otherwise, great track!

Nice track man, the bass in the intro is awesome imo. Altho I think the intro could benefit from some FX (like noisesweeps and random backround sounds) to fill things out a bit and sort of help to build a bit more of atmosphere. I think the whole idea for the drums are great but you didn't get all the way. With some tinkering on the drums (perhaps reverb some of the snare hits and put them further back?) this could be great.

Don't get me wrong... I thought it was a nice piece!

Musically spot on, you wrote a lovely piece of music there dude! On a personal side, I would have liked the bass be be a bit more together, with some more punch in the sound. Still works good as it is, just my ears want the bass to standout a bit more.
How did you make the drum break? Thats some sweet work, and you come up with a nice unique sounding groove! A little bit of work to make them pop out a bit more, like the snare mentioned earlier.
Bit of spit and polish the odd place, but as I opened, musically, it was ace! You got a winner there

Yeah as has been said it`s a nice piece of music. The bass is a really lovely sound and musically it`s doing something pretty interesting and original. The drums and other instruments, the same. The problem i have is the mix is letting it down quite a lot, the track doesn`t quite know where it wants to be or what it wants to be. For example the drums, i think are caught between being either full in-your-face or a rolling liquid style breakbeat. I think you should really spend some time on the individual drum sounds, for example pick the kick, get it popping with some saturation/compression/transient-shaping/eq/whatever and shape it that way, then same for the snare - i wouldn`t muddy it up too much with reverb unless hipassed, but would def give that some more sparkle as has been mentioned and bring it forward quite a bit. Possibly look at panning and/or adding stereo widening to some of the individual drumsounds too. Hipass and lowpass unnecessary frequencies on everything to improve overall clarity - ie the strings are nice but maybe they have too much bottom end and conflict/overlap with the bass too much, the individual drumsounds too. Personally i think the bass is too bassy although it is a really nice sound - i`d lower the bottom end a bit and possibly look at limiting and other ways of getting it under control as it`s quite a beast in the mix..

Anyway, hope some of that helps :) Really nice track man..

I am a fan of atmosperics and this track has god them quite well. Intro sounds well and the hissing noise sounds is spot on for me. I can tell that you used 'real' kicks which is something rare in D&B nowadays and they seem to fit quite well but I would still bring them up a bit (even the snares in this case). Musically it is spot on but bring down the melodies of the track to create a bit more balance with the drums and bass (it is slightly eating the kick as well). Overall this track has a lot going for it and I really would like to hear it finished and mixed well because I am really liking this track!! Big up Lasiien :)

Really nice tune mate, original with a mellow vibe. :)

As others have mentioned tho the mixdown could do with a little bit of work and the snare needs brightening up a bit.

I think this tune could also maybe benefit from a little female vocal here and there?

But yeah, good work mate (y)

Nice one everyone thanks very much for your feedback, still a WIP and maybe my dodgy self mastering doesn't help, but you've given me plenty to work on :)

Fatkids/Cartel/Mr Meh - good spot on the snare, ty I'll work on it

Jim - cheers, I do need a few more risers I think yeh

tewky - don't think I do anything special for drum grooves, just take a break but then work my own drums over it (time consuming sometimes especially for fills, if anyone has a magic drum machine to do that I'd really love one!). I do like making drums a bit different from the norm though, I think it can make a track stand out.

frustrate - awesome detailed feedback, thank you ! I do of course do some of the things you mention including layering / eq but I'll need to revisit when the track gets busy as i think you're right there are some conflicts going on.

menosance - good ears man! yeh it's a 'normal' kick

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom