Liquid Funk DJ Competition 2004 DJ results

liquidfunk

Liquid Funk DJ Competition 2004 DJ results

Winner Miss Represent

aug-know.jpg

The two previous winners for the DJ comp 2002 (The Scratch Technician), DJ 2003 (EDI) and now up for grabs we have the 2004 title available to win.

Once again the DJ competition was fiercely contested with well over 500+ mixes submitted. All of the mixes were listened to with great interest. All the mixes were produced to a high standard and it was good to see people making a real effort with the CD covers. The standard was great and once again there will be one winner named and 20 runners up for the competition. The overall winner will get to

DJ at Bar Knowledge in Farringdon on 10th September 2004 and get their profile and mix on the web site.

The entries cover a vast array of Drum & Bass tunes. The winner has to be producing something original and unique to win. When judging this competition we were looking for a DJ that could mix tunes cleanly (clang free), choose a varied and good tune selection, mix in the right key, record mix at correct level (no feedback), Have a clean structure to their mix. For example start off with a good intro tune, by the middle of the mix found a really good tune with that little extra energy and finishing on a killer tune. Meaning that who ever listening to the mix wants to rewind and here it all over again.

Judges decision is final so read on to find out who are the future drum&bass stars to be reckoned with. All we can say is if the talent is this good then drum&bass can only become one of the heaviest street sounds. The building blocks are there so lets not keep reminiscing about 1997 and get on with the future sound as drum&bass has still plenty to offer musically. For the DJs who think they are too good to enter, you aren't because everyone has to start somewhere.

The Liquidfunk.co.uk winner 2004 is-

Deserved winner of DJ competition 2004 goes to Miss Represent from Gloucestershire UK. Now the decision was hard so that is why we are going to give summaries of each mix in the 20 runners up category just so you know we have listened to your mixes. This competition is the most prestigious for new talent as Liquidfunk.co.uk always set-up the idea based on promoting new artists. Drum&Bass Arena covers the big dogs, DOA is the central source for discussion and point of view. The mix is varied and clean(clang free). Miss Represent is a very determined DJ you only have to check her websites to realise how much energy she has for the scene.

Web Links - www.missrepresent.com www.aftershockradio.com

E-mail- missrepresentuk@hotmail.com
Miss Represent - Download mix (right "save target as")

http://www.liquid-funk.co.uk/missrepresent-24th_of_february_mix_128k.mp3

DJ Profile - click here!

The 20 DJ runners up are-

DJ Callide - Gloucester UK

djcallide@yahoo.com

Clean sharp mixing from original badboy Callide. GFM presenter. A hard edge mix with a selection of of his own production work.

Cynic

Cynicdj@hotmail.com

Very clean selection of tunes having already played at the ATM and Knowledge DJ finals in the past.

DJ Sharkie

djsharkie01@hotmail.com

Nice selection of liquid tunes for the summer. ranging from calibre to high contrast.

DJ Submerge

neilslotnick@hotmail.com

Good contrast of liquid sounds covering all the hot tunes. Good mixing skills.

DJ Klusta

www.dnbforum.com

Heavy mix from the dnbforum moderator. Slick mixing and you can check his mix on the radio page of site.

DJ Slider

slider@itstooloud.com

Nice mix from the north UK based DJ having played at some of the heaviest nights in the north. No messing this DJ is promising new talent.

Madcap

djmadcap@aol.com

Madcap needs no introduction having played at Movement on numerous occassions. Scratch & mixing skills hard to match by many new DJs.

DJ Switch

Resident at Fabio's legendary Swerve night it is going to be hard to find a more accomplished new DJ to warm things up at any event.

Matt Osborne

forecast@ukhq.co.uk

Nice liquid sounds at the perfect tempo.

DJ Blazin

djblazin@hotmail.com

Original 3 deck mix with a great tune selection of tearing tunes. Great CD design and presentation.

Overlay

theoverlay@hotmail.com

Down tempo start firing in with a killer tune. Easy bruv on the mix absolute killer. Keep it going as there is great potential here.

U K W

West Yorkshire DJ with a great ear for good tunes. UKW has played at numerous Leeds venues. Tech step style edge to the mix heavy nonetheless.

Sixus

tobysk8@hotmail.com

A tight selection of tunes based mainly around heavy hard tunes. Sixus has a bit of DJ experience having polayed warm up sets at well known promotion "Coalition".

Scatty one

scattyone@hotmail.com

Varied selection of tunes from Calibre, friction not to be messed with. To finish there is a cheeky mix of Urban Takeover promos....a nice finish to a well planned set.

DJ Tony SE

antz505@hotmail.com

25 minute mix which under the regulation time for competition but definitely makes it into the top 20. The reason is he mixes a hell of a lot of tunes in such a short space of time and well. A style used by Andy C. wicked!

DJ Biggi

dj_biggi_g@hotmail.com

Big shout to a fellow stevie hyper supporter. This Suffolk based DJ delivers some fast paced tunes.Excellent tunes for a relatively new DJ.

DJ Feela

Oxford based DJ with heavy sounds ranging fromSS to Andy C so quite a high energy mix. May be a potential warm up DJ for the Source @ The Zodiac in Oxford.

DJ Logix

Heavy selection of tunes with a consistent mixing style.

DJ Kev Ferris

kevferris100@hotmail.com

Once again mr ferris provides a neat selection of tunes. Good transition between tunes with slick mixing.

Jake E

djjakesullivan@hotmail.com

Starting of with a Utah Jazz tune is often a great starting point for a mix. Good intro and aptly titled mix "Bass Funk".

Many thanks to Sara @ Knowledge magazine and all the DJs that entered especially all the people who have supported Drum & Bass over the years. Please make the effort to visit the Bar Knowledge on the 10th September 2004 even if you didn’t win or make the 20 runners up and support the future sound of drum & bass. Respect!

If youn missed it there is always next years competition to look forward too.

aug-know.jpg

Triple M said:
Congratulations Miss Ripper!! gwaan gurl!

also nice one to the man they call Klusta

Big respect to you guys boooooo! (y)
:word:

whats goin on ???

I was runner up last year but don't remember entering this year wtf!!
I do remember i THOUGHT about entering maybe i did enter or maybe thats my mix from last year hmmm bit confused 'ere lol

Big big up to tha Winner Miss Represent gotta check out ur set !!!

kevferris said:
whats goin on ???

I was runner up last year but don't remember entering this year wtf!!
I do remember i THOUGHT about entering maybe i did enter or maybe thats my mix from last year hmmm bit confused 'ere lol
lol, me too.

smells

fish.jpg

to me!

kevferris said:
u were one of the top 20 runners up last year weren't ya klusta?maybe ill b runner up for a third time for next years competition ;)
yeah I was

:banana:

if I'd known the close date for this one I would of sent a much much better mix cd in!

Yo Kev u from Ireland?

yeah I was

if I'd known the close date for this one I would of sent a much much better mix cd in!

Yo Kev u from Ireland?

haha yea that was the same as me,cos i remember thinking im gonna make a really good one and win it but i was way too lazy,still don't know what mix it was that got me into the runners up section think it was a mix way back in january.Yea im from ireland indeed!!

kevferris said:
haha yea that was the same as me,cos i remember thinking im gonna make a really good one and win it but i was way too lazy,still don't know what mix it was that got me into the runners up section think it was a mix way back in january.Yea im from ireland indeed!!
Reason i asked was that I was hooking up a little visit to Ireland and was gonna ask if you know any promoters over there. Looks as though it aint gonna happen now :(

Could of offered some exchange bookings
VVV
VV
V

Reason i asked was that I was hooking up a little visit to Ireland and was gonna ask if you know any promoters over there. Looks as though it aint gonna happen now

Could of offered some exchange bookings
VVV
VV
V

ah pity that i know a few promoters,hardly get gigs tho last one i had was sept 03 lol twice one of the runners up on liquidfunks compo had a mix on flights 1xtra show and still no bloddy gigs sure if ure coming in the near future over gimme a shout via email and we could hook something up,anyways peace out Klusta!

kevferris said:
ah pity that i know a few promoters,hardly get gigs tho last one i had was sept 03 lol twice one of the runners up on liquidfunks compo had a mix on flights 1xtra show and still no bloddy gigs sure if ure coming in the near future over gimme a shout via email and we could hook something up,anyways peace out Klusta!
safe bro

we should be hooking up another visit towards crimbo so will get back to ya. thanks kev

Back
Top Bottom