(Liquid) Drumline tutorial and Nu:Tone bass

Quotec

Sup, folks?

I was wondering how to compose an effective drumline? I know sort of golden rule which is 1-11 for kick and 5-13 for snare to create ticking sound, add some hats, rides and percs to spice it up and insert some breaks to finalize the result. The problem is that my drumline tends to "die" in the background by which I mean that bass, leads and other sounds hide the drums and so they don´t stand out. I tried different methods to overcome this problem but they didn´t work so well(playing with volumes, EQing better and so on). Is there any other "golden rule" that help to shape a better drumline with kicks and snares standing out? I can´t find any tutorials on that.

The second question concerns the bass that starts from 1:50 in the following track. How is this result achieved?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjwN3B617tg

You need to create space in the mix for your kick and snare, if you have too much in one frequency range its going to get muddy and messed up, try eqing the elements of your mix into their own areas, also have a look at side chaining :)

This thread again.

Find some breaks you like, chop them up, process different hits individually, process all together again and work on your mixdowns if the drums are getting lost.

Nu:Tone bass sounds like a bunch of saws sidechained or possibly with an automated filter.

Back
Top Bottom