DnB (Liquid DNB) Tell me what you think about it

A couple of issues:
- everything sounds too stereo
- the kick and snare are not cutting through enough. I'm not a huge fan of that kick and snare tbh...

Also: breaks. Whatever the question is, breaks is always the answer! Layer some to get a richer and fuller sound to your drums

Thank you for the response, Inkognit. To me ass (i would call me) newbie in the specials about producing can you explanie to me what you mean when you say it sounds too stereo? Do you mean the hole sound or can you please give me any kind of example for comparison?
And, as i say i'm still a beginner and still every song i produce is a new learning experience. I really wanted to try not to use a sidechain for the sub to the kick, maybe i would have done better WITH a sidechaine. I will experience with it and try some things out. Thanks again, for me THIS type of comments are the usefull comments, not just the "this sounds bad, i don't like that sound" etc., so have a nice time! :)
Oh and right, i will also try out layering breaks in the right way to give it a more fluid feeling. The biggest problem for me is to find the right type of female vocals that are giving the sound that special feelings.

Grab an stereo analyzer like the Ozone Imager. And check how stereo each track is. You should have an increasingly stereo image as you go up the frequency bands. So the sub should be mono and the the upper frequencies should be more stereo than the rest.

I say it sounds too stereo, because the elements don't have a defined place in the mix. You should feel that each element of your track has a position towards the listener.

Some tips:
- Use the imager to check the stereo image of your track, and find the problems
- Use mid/side eq'ing on the problematic tracks
- Use reverb on your tracks to do the element positioning, this are some of the tricks I use:
  1. Small amount of Small Room Reverb with a send bus, on almost all my tracks to get the feel that everything comes from the same place
  2. Hall reverb to place elements in the back
  3. Plate reverb to place elements in the front of the mix
- Don't forget to pan some of the elements. It makes the mix more interesting as well

PS: Don't use sidechain only if your bass and kick don't clash on the same frequencies. Otherwise, I advise you to use it

Thank you very much Inkognit - This is very useful for me and now i know what to do. I will try this all out these days. The hall reverb for puttung elements a little more in the back is cool...

(/Edit:)(By the way, i'm using Ableton.)
Yep, i'll try different options with the sub but sometimes for me it's easier to "just" sidechain it than messing around with the frequencies - but i want to mess with the frequencies to get the optimal result. I'll have a long workaround with this and using your tips - thanks again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom