Liquid Dnb Sound+tutorial question

Freezz

Hi all, i'm new to this forum so let me first introduce myself briefly. I'm 16 years old and i started producing liquid about 3-4 months ago. I'm using ableton live 8 for Mac and i really got to know the program very well in the last months. I learned how to make a nice drum beat, how to EQ things out properly etc etc. I can also make the typical liquid sound with the detuned squares with an LFO on the LP to make it wobble but i really would like to make a sound similar to the ones you hear in these songs:

Netsky : Lost in This World
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svW2KL-9KQI

Netsky : Memory Lane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG7cRDcPY3k

Fred V & Grafix : One of These Days
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ulEULEMpUw

I am talking about all the kinds off bass, because i have to improve everything. I know the basics i think but i need to take it to another level to actually get into the real production because a solo dnb beat sounds so lonely!

I was also wondering wether there are tutorials out there that get into detail with the whole liquid dnb production... There is a forum post on the Sonic Academy forums that has the second most amount of response but somehow SA ignores this and keeps on digging in that Techno/house branch of the music.

All Help is welcome!
Cheers!

Not sure about tutorials but you should also start working on developing your own sound.

Your question is a bit broad. No one is going to be able to explain, via a forum, the complexities of writing music and how to produce a great sounding track from scratch.

You need to practice, read up on theory, watch tutorials etc etc

Im rubbish at making tunes, but I understand how difficult it is, and no one is going to be able to tell you how to do it. There are so many different things involved that's almost impossible to say exactly how a producer has made whatever sound it is that you want to make.

All the above posts are correct.

The best thing you can do is view tutorials (or search this forum) to learn more about sythesis and utilizing a synthesizer to create different sounds. Get to know Ableton's instruments and view tutorials on those. This is, in my opinion, one of the most difficult things to learn. However, once you have a good understanding of wave forms (square, sin, saw, etc) as well as the basic structure of a synth, you'll start to really grasp the fundamentals of electronic music. It's not something that can be summed up in a paragraph unfortunately. It requires a bit of learning, effort and hands-on trial and error.

Cheers.

Yes

---------- Post added at 00:46 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

but if you're making liquid you should find some good samples and put them in a sampler instead of using just synths

so what sounds do you suggest? alarms, bells etc or just random things that might sound well in the mix?

about those synths, i really don't know how to start making stabs etc

so what sounds do you suggest? alarms, bells etc or just random things that might sound well in the mix?

dude, as its been said before no ones going to write the tune for you,

freesound.org, get hunting, as for synthesis tutorials, get on youtube there are tonnes of videos there, good luck!

I suggesting making a track purely from farm animal noises. The snarling of pig's will make for a hazardous bassline accompanied by the sing of a thousand chickens performing the lead lines. Maybe add dog noises for good measure and wood chops for bass drums. Every farm has bell's hung high before a door so there is your cymbols & precussions. Make sure to post your results.

---------- Post added at 02:40 ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 ----------

i guess what i'm trying to say is, get creative broski :P

I'm not really that good at writing liquid, haven't tried it much and I tend to prefer the slightly darker side of DnB at the moment...
Anyway a couple of ideas for liquid instrumentation:
Rhodes Piano Samples!
Organs!
Also - try blending in Massive's Organ Waveform with some other waveforms that work nicely- to get a smooth feel.
Bells can be nice for individual hits etc as well yes.. make sure you get a nice sample though...
Erm.... I guess you might wanna search for some vocals as well possibly. Just try to find the least cheesy ones possible...
For the drums: You probably want them to remain fairly consistent for liquid... they are usually quite repetitive... This means that the sound of the drums must be absolutely top notch- so spend time layering them up and make sure your using the best possible break you can find to fit the track... If you don't have many decent breaks.. I would even spend 3 or 4 hours trawling the internet for the best ones...
As for the track structure... make sure its always progressing and progressing- doesnt mean you need to have a massive sound palette but just keep the vartiations and fills to a maximum!
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom