liquid/atmospheric dnb - WIP (plz critique)

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by djdizzy, Aug 21, 2013.

1. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

i've been wanting to take a stab at liquid dnb for awhile, especially since i listen to alot of it and back n the pre-liquid days was all about the atmospheric dnb.
    i'm sort of torn about which way to take this song, i do know this much though - i need to a well defined lead. right now it's mainly 4-5 layers of modulated sounds that all come together to create the ambience/atmosphere i was looking for. i threw in a quiet, plucky lead for the moment otherwise most of the sounds are too sweepy and you can't make out the melody. so for now i just threw in a little plucky lead using the same melody as everything else so that the melody stands out more but it still retains all the layers of modulated sounds after the initial lead pluck.

let me know what u guys think so far

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. blend107

blend107 Active Member

This is great, I like huge wobbly basslines in my liquid!
    Only really one criticism - I feel that the track should build up a little more before the drop, perhaps some other layered sounds or crashes would be good.
    Although I realise that this maybe a clip of the full song? It feels like it should be a little longer :p.
    Great track, intrigued to hear more from you :)

3. LVB

LVB Active Member

The LFO speed is way too high, sounds almost cheesy, half the speed would be better, lush tune otherwise, nice job!

4. Skuff

Skuff Well-Known Member

Agree with lvb, half the rate of the lfo, and it will sound a lot better. Nice effort so far though

5. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

thanks for the feedback! i'll slow the lfo speed down, i think you're right that it's a bit fast especially for something more on the liquid/atmospheric side of things. props to skyentist for the bass tut

blend - yeah it's just a clip of what i have so far. i've been kind of stuck trying to figure out where to go from here, damn writer's block strikes again! mainly trying to figure out what to really do for the lead. i've had a hard time finishing songs lately, i feel like i'm stuck with ADD all of a sudden. i start on songs but can't seem to focus to see them through so i save them but start on something else and the cycle keeps repeating. can't seem to really focus to see anything through to the end the past several months so now i have a ton of unfinished projects. i just need to force myself to focus on the song at hand