Linux Music Production

cleef

I'm running Debian Wheezy and so don't have access to the usual DAW's without running them through WINE.

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent linux music production software or am I stuck with using WINE for now?

I tried LMMS (Linux Multi Media Studio, i think). It's kind of a FL Studio remake. But I were too lazy to learn that DAW though. So I switched back to windows and FL. I think it also has VST support (with some know-how), so I guess it shouldn't be too bad at all.
When I did my research for Linux-DAWs, most people recommended me LMMS but also Ardour and a third one which name I can't remember (it's not in the list above).

Yh I was gonna say renoise, it's what I use. Great stuff and it's really cheap!

Quite like the feel of lmms as im used to fl studio but i'll give renoise a look as well. Cheers guys!

I initially used the LMMS port for Mac and it was pretty cool. I really liked the drum workflow. (FL style I guess?). I had issues getting VSTs working but hopefully that's an issue with the Mac port. The built in plugins are pretty good to start out with.

A few of the other posters mentioned LMMS, and I have a little experience with it too. The interface is far from elegant and I don't like the way it manages plug-ins. In fact, if you're on Windows there are plenty of other better alternatives. On Windows at least, the thing that pissed me off about LMMS is how crash-happy it is. Maybe it was b/c of memory allocation settings or something, but it would crash a lot without any apparent reason, usually when I loaded in a vst-i. Most of the vst-is I tried crashed the program, so it was hardly productive.

If you were on Windows or MAC I'd 100% recommend MuLab, however. Been using it for about 8 months. Very elegant and clean interface, and works with every plug'in I've thrown at it. Also has some great bundled samples and instruments, and pretty nice editing features for samples directly in the program (you can crop them, quantize, gain fade, etc and cut new samples directly from a sample already loaded in).

I'm also trying to run LMMS but my version is not putting out sound when i try to play samples, did you have this problem.

I'm also trying to run LMMS but my version is not putting out sound when i try to play samples, did you have this problem.
Did you go to the audio setup settings and check your sound card source? The drivers should be listed there, just pick the right one.

Fuck, it's been AGES since I've used this DAW. But if you're on Windows there are much better alternatives man.

Back
Top Bottom