Linking Computers

SpecialGuest

Hello!

I am working on a tune at the moment and it has become a bit of a beast. My computer just can't hack all that processing! I upgraded my RAM to 4GB but it's still not enough. So I was wondering if anyone has had any success (or even know if it's possible) with hooking up another computer to your main computer to share the processing load. If it is possible, are you able to divert some of the processing to a PC if you have a Mac, or can only another Mac link to a Mac.

I am running Logic on a Mac Book Pro.

Thanks chaps!

Hello!

I am working on a tune at the moment and it has become a bit of a beast. My computer just can't hack all that processing! I upgraded my RAM to 4GB but it's still not enough. So I was wondering if anyone has had any success (or even know if it's possible) with hooking up another computer to your main computer to share the processing load. If it is possible, are you able to divert some of the processing to a PC if you have a Mac, or can only another Mac link to a Mac.

I am running Logic on a Mac Book Pro.

Thanks chaps!
http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

Seriously, you should be able to just buy and install a larger RAM drive for your macbook, no hassles

if your running loads of synths, jsut bounce down the sounds and use audio to save cpu. i have no idea about linking computers doe

Hello!

I am working on a tune at the moment and it has become a bit of a beast. My computer just can't hack all that processing! I upgraded my RAM to 4GB but it's still not enough. So I was wondering if anyone has had any success (or even know if it's possible) with hooking up another computer to your main computer to share the processing load. If it is possible, are you able to divert some of the processing to a PC if you have a Mac, or can only another Mac link to a Mac.I am running Logic on a Mac Book Pro.

Thanks chaps!

Almost 100% sure this isnt possible.

heavy tracks mean that you're running out of processing power, not RAM. RAM is only used to store audio (samples, tracks) and the plugins' codes.

I thought Ableton Live offered some kind of processing linkage...? Or maybe it's just a sync for live purposes.

I thought Ableton Live offered some kind of processing linkage...? Or maybe it's just a sync for live purposes.

I know of midi sync in ableton, thats nothing to do with cpu power though.
I'm pretty sure it isnt possible, the speed at which you need the processing to be happening anything that has to be connected via an external port is too slow.

You could also try increasing your midi latency, that tends to help me when I'm chewing up a little too much horsepower.

200 is still more than fine imo, everything above 500 gets on my nerves, cant see spectrum analysers properly, everything lags etc..

pretty sure it is generally possible tho, that is with enough programming and serious hacker-like skills.

nasa can run seti on i dont know how many pcs, so it should be pretty easy for someone with enough knowledge to set something like this up for daws aswell.

for your standard homestudio tho, its not possible- no shortcuts there.

You categorically can not do this. A Macbook Pro will have a dual core 2.4Ghz i5 so it will be the limiting factor in your setup.

The only way to stop your track from chugging is to bounce down all of the synth parts that you are finished with to audio and remove the VST from the project.

How many instances of VSTs have you got open in the project?

Once upon a time, you were able to use Logic nodes within Logic 9. Essentially, by chaining two Mac's running Logic via Firewire (and possibly thunderbolt, not sure though) the processing would be split between the two machines. However, there were many limitations, the biggest of which was that the shared processing load was only applicable to Logic stock plugs and Logic processes–not for third party. It was a bit pointless because Logic's plugin's and instruments were never heavy on CPU in the first place.

Nodes was removed with Logic X. People whined, but I doubt they even used nodes in the first place.

Your best bet will be to look into a quality external drive with a speedy connection. I use a thunderbolt dual raid drive I bought for $250 and filled with my own hard drives. The benefit is that the external drive can simultaneously read/write and provide bi-directional communication whereas an internal drive will only send or receive. If you dedicate one drive to samples and another to handling project files, you'll notice quite an increase in performance–assuming your computer isn't greater than 5 years old.

Cheers.

This sounds like a pain in the ass. because its not possible. (i tried). You're working on a track dude, not building a computer. Don't get sidetracked with that crap.

Bounce everything to audio, freeze what you don't want to bounce, finish the track, then get a new computer. *cough cough Mac.

Trust me, I've been through that battle before of trying to make the best of what I have. In the first year of using ableton on a junk laptop, i learned more about mickey mousing crap, than i did music. what a waste of time that was.

Back
Top Bottom