Lightening Fast sequencer!!!!

breakzhead

This month in computer tech I got this full version of Synapse Orion. I cannot believe the low latancy im getting outta this bad boy. I have a xp 1600, earlier I was running Two Pro-53's, two reaktor plugins, 2 absynths and a drum sequencer, hydra, plus FX's. My CPU is registered 12% load.

This is a really simple sequencer that gains its power through the use of DX and VST plugins. It really is worth checking out for beginners/performance. I was impressed by the performance plus I got it for free. If the moderators don't mind I could post up the install file.

:fuckinpc:

mer

I remember trying that one out a good while ago.
It had the wasp synth before i could get it on fruity and they make junglist too don't they

Having entered the producing world with Orion Platinum and Junglist, I would have to say that I don't believe what this kid is saying(maybe receiving the free copy influenced the review). I too have a 1600+, 512mb ram computer, and whenever I made the upgrade to cubase sl 1.06, I transfered all of my songs from orion to cubase(saved presets, exported midi files, etc... so that the songs were identical in either host).
The song in Orion Platinum 4.something used a whopping ~80%, with some clicks and pops, where as in cubase sl 1.06, it uses ~25%, imagine my astonishment(the song contained 4 instances of Kontakt, 1 instance of D'cota and 1 instance of FM7). All other tranfered songs had similar results. The mixer in Orion is pure shit, and makes no sense. The default position for a fader is -12db instead of zero, and when the fader is all the way up it is at 0db, instead of +6/+12 or whatever. The VU meters are hard to read, and don't give you an actual number. Also, cubase has drastically better sound quality. Orion 5 just came out, it may be an improvement, but I will never know, because I don't intend to upgrade. As a side note, when I first bought Orion, they advertised that their products came with free updates for life(an offer they never should have made, updates are how audio software companys stay in business). First they added an oscillator to junglist, changed the color of it, and started calling it Hydra, so, no more updates for junglist. Now they just started charging for Orion updates. At any rate, for $300 for Orion Platinum now(it was 200 when I bought it), one would be better off paying 500 for cubase sl2.

djprophecy5 said:
Having entered the producing world with Orion Platinum and Junglist, I would have to say that I don't believe what this kid is saying(maybe receiving the free copy influenced the review). I too have a 1600+, 512mb ram computer, and whenever I made the upgrade to cubase sl 1.06, I transfered all of my songs from orion to cubase(saved presets, exported midi files, etc... so that the songs were identical in either host).
The song in Orion Platinum 4.something used a whopping ~80%, with some clicks and pops, where as in cubase sl 1.06, it uses ~25%, QUOTE]

It is surely dependant on what your hardware configuration is. I am using a SB16 not so the mme drivers are not very recent so latancy in sx is bout 800ms. You said you brought the software, did you not think of downloading a demo first to test it? this is normal practise if you hare investing hard earned beans. I got a free copy of orion pro and all I use it for is plugin hosting.

If you are given orion pro for free and it is the fastest sequencer by far on your machine, then brother you are gonna shout about it. I rest my case.

I'm not trying to have an argument or disrespect you, the point of my post was that I felt that Synapse-Audio products were a waste of my money, and I do not wish that upon anyone else. Why did I buy them in the first place? I knew nothing about production, I'd never heard of Steinberg, I'd never heard of cubase or logic or pro tools or anything else. I also did not have internet access on my computer. I bought a copy of Electronic Musician magazine, saw a review of orion, as well it was in my price range(I would later come to the painfull realization that you get what you pay for). Anyhow, until I see it with my own two eyes, I'm going to be skeptical of that 12% claim. Shortly after getting Orion I bought a SB Audigy 2 pci soundcard, which in theory should work as well or better than yours. I was running about 50ms latency with that card(I'm now running 20ms with an M-Audio 2496).
You said your latency in SX is 800ms, what is the latency you're running in orion?
Maybe if you have it unneccesarily high the cpu usage would be 12%, but if that's the case your statement isn't giving an accurate representation of orions performance to people who might read your post, and possibly buy it.

Back
Top Bottom