Life Changers?

Dbrief

Son of the Drum n Bass Father
We must have all had the moment where we heard a tune or been to an event that has literally sparked an epiphany in our heads.. so I'm putting it out there, what was yours? Must be some great stories to be told!

Mine wasn't long ago when I went to see LTJ Bukem in Leeds, and him combined with the MC (MC Lowqui) turned the whole room into a vibe ive never even felt before. Absolute magic, didn't hear one person afterwards say anything other than something along the lines of 'Best set ive ever witnessed'. Wish it had been recorded!

Go on then, story time!

a great experience for me was first time I went fabric when I was 18, been partying in the squat scene for years before that but it wasn't really about the music, don't get me wrong I didn't mind it but for me back then it was more about seeing mates every weekend, having a laugh and doing copious amounts of drugs, then going fabric and hearing drum and bass on that system changed my view on it and been in love with it ever since!

Funnily enough it was a playaz night so had LTJ Bukem in room 2, also remember Pascal, Hazard and of course hype absolutely smashing it, that's the reason I started DJing because I wanted to try and make people feel what I felt that night (pretty gay I know but that's the truth haha)

Other great experiences are boomtown and outlook festival, if you haven't been I would recommend both of those!

I remember seeing Hazard at Nass fest last year, absolutely smashed it!
Yeah mate completely agree, just no beating the magic that can be created in a room with some black discs, a sound system and a shit ton of people!

Got a couple that spring to mind.

One was being stood in the middle of the main room at Inno In The Sun back in 2008 I believe, pretty mashed and on my own. My friend who I went on holiday with came and found me just as it dropped and I was stomping hard to Cyantific - Disconnected. He goes "yeah this one's quality" and went on to I.D it for me. One of those moments

Also I think that year or the year after I went to Inno In The Dam with some friends and was stood at the back of the main room at the bar, not Melkweg, the other venue, when someone dropped Noisia - Stigma. The part where it's kinda winding up just after the first drop was so bassy it made every glass that was stood next another on the shelves of the bar vibrate and it felt like the whole bar was shaking. Was an amazing moment and one I've never experienced since

I cant remember if it was this tune at nosebleed with lenny dee behind the decks

possibly this at local club?

or Rez??? i remember this whole set like it was yesterday tbf

or ultra sonic

yeah this...

I cant remember if it was this tune at nosebleed with lenny dee behind the decks

Trainspotting has taught me that Scotland is a land of strong drugs, but you must have been on something particularly mad to have any kind of transcendent moment listening to that

Not DNB, never really go out to a lot of DNB clubs. But Jeff Mills at The End were legendary nights, probably around 2001, playing furious techno (well not as furious as Manu's) and then this tune comes through, spine tingler of a tune

Had an epic night a few Easters ago, with Nu:tone & Logistics playing on a boat.

:Last tune was this...absolutely tore the roof off:

Alpine Unity 2002, First outdoor party, first dinger, started mixing almost immediately after getting home. A girl had too much hallucinogens and started mowing over tents in her car, thank god it was daytime and most people were away from their tents. That could have been 2003 actually. Think I was 15 (y)

in remembrance of steve mason's weekly broadcasted "experience show" on bfbs radio and the year '92, when i was ten years old and had not the foggiest idea of what a raving society was all about. but, in retrospect, it almost seems like my life was predetermined from the day i heard moby's woodtick mix of "go" for the very first time.

Discovered techno music in 1991, through a weekly show on a local radio station. Got to hear early hardcore, and went on to jungle through ridiculously priced imports of Strictly Underground compilations and Shy FX's Just An Example. Then it all went "intelligent", and that didn't work for me. So I left it all and had a prolonged trance/acid/goa trance period that lasted well into the 2000s.
Until a guy at my dorm house bought the Mixmag edition that had John B's Trance N Bass mix with. I rewinded this again and again, just listening to it as I laid drunk on the floor with the track pounding out at full volume:

LTJ Bukem playing Atlantis at a local place like 5 or 6 years ago, original version, crowd went so mad he put his hands on his head and bowed to us. Not "moshpit" mad, the screaming YES mad. Will never forget it!

LTJ Bukem playing Atlantis at a local place like 5 or 6 years ago, original version, crowd went so mad he put his hands on his head and bowed to us. Not "moshpit" mad, the screaming YES mad. Will never forget it!
Sounds about right! The man knows what he's doing! Way prefer the screaming YES shows than the mosh pits.. let me dance!

About 6-7 years ago, a mate of mine had been in a bad place in his life, everything was getting back on track, he got tight with the Allsorts crew in Swansea, started MCing ad beatboxing with them as it turned out he was actually pretty fucking good at it. Started getting really well known and liked in the Swansea scene. Then he successfully applied to work at camp america and it was the start of a new life for him. Second week in america he's stood at the side of a road with a group of other camp people and the kids, a drunk driver comes hauling ass around the corner, loses control and careers off the road, killing my mate instantly and another person stood with him who later died in hospital. Before he left for america, Just One Second (apex remix) was his tune of the moment. Shortly after his funeral, a memorial night was held in his honour at Monkey bar in Swansea. Everybody had orange trilbys (because he pretty much lived in one) and the vibe was amazing. At the end of the night, that track was played and I remember being at the front of the dancefloor and turning around as it dropped. Everybody had their hats in the air and tears were streaming down everyone's faces. A rush of cold swept through my entire body (I've got it now just writing about it). It was an absolutely magical moment and I will never forget it. Never has music hit me so hard in my life. It was at that moment I realised the power that music can have. RIP D-Monix, you're were the nicest badman I'd ever had the pleasure of meeting.

BFBS was a great thing back then, can't find any vids of DC's Drum and Bass Show tho.

But this

If I'd have to mention some tracks that went off at a rave..SS - The Lighter, Moving Fusion - The Beginning, The Prodigy - Out of Space, Jimmy J and Cru LT - Take me away..

RIP D-Monix, you're were the nicest badman I'd ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Sorry to hear all that man! Absolutely mad story, sounds like he was hella respected by everyone around him! (y)
Can't even imagine what ya must have felt at that point! One o those moments for sure! Top beat as well! VIBES!

Back
Top Bottom