Drum & Bass LiamJ - Almost Idle

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by windowkill1, Mar 15, 2012.

1. windowkill1

windowkill1 Young listener

Hey everyone, my name is LiamJ. I've just recently got back into some production, and I'd like some feedback on this track that took me, actually quite a while, to put down. With help and support from people such as friends and a member of my family.

Over the course of about a month+ I've come up with this: http://soundcloud.com/liamjcooper/almost-idle-new-demo

Thank you for any feedback and listens, much appreciated.

2. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

Not bad mate. Good production.

Wasn't particularly keen on your chord sequence. Could help but feel a distinct lack of bassline frequencys either.

3. windowkill1

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I might work on a VIP if I can to see if I can sort out the chords placements, but I know what you mean.
    As for the sub bass, I'll look on this forum on how to make a good sub bass to perk it up a little better.

4. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

1 or 2 low passed sinewaves. Is all ya need matey.

5. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Sine, or distort a square wave then low pass it

6. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Not bad man! Just by looking at your waveform I can see the response looks nice and punchy. Drum are sounding quite full.

A couple suggestions:

- Hi cut that opening hi freq synth a bit. Digital music has enough hi-freq information in it already, so free up a bit of headroom by cutting it just a bit–of automate a high cut to add a bit of movement.
    - I have to agree with elmaruk. The last chord in your progression sounds a bit off...not in an evil dissonant sounding way, but in a way that it doesn't flow with the progression. I'd consider a different chord here.
    - To fill up your sonic space, perhaps create a midbass line that plays along with your chords, but in monotone. This will add a bit of thickness that could really aid your track.

All in all, not too bad. Keep banging on it.

Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  7. marcelkennard

marcelkennard Storms comin in Annie

Nice tips lost. Yeah I think the progression may be a bit off - but perhaps it could work if it was split up into a smaller loop that repeated only 2 chords at a time for 3 short phrases before altering on the 4th or something???
    Maybe work in more of a call and response pattern with them using another mid bass and it could sound alot nicer !

8. windowkill1

Thank you for support and suggestions guys, if you want to listen to the final thing... check my signature!

Thanks again for listening!