levels with master or channels?

I tend to put keep everything as clos to 0db as i can with out clipping and then whack a limiter on the master channel which keeps the the little sounds that like to clip at rest. Like alot of peeps here aswell, i EQ as i go.

I found out recently the best levels for your channels are around -10db for drums, and approx -14 for bass if levels of bass sounds weak at this volume try to find a way of boosting volume without using up headroom on your fader volume??, the master fader can be moved around as you like(constantly) it depends on how many tracks/channels you have running and how cluttered the frequency spectrum is,, the master channel at the end of mixing the tune should be some where near -3/-2 db in digital, possibly lower, depending on how much headroom has been eaten, -6 could be louder than a different mix at -2

My general rule is to EQ and mixdown on the fly =]
Oh and never boost always cut or use another sample with the accent you want

Last edited:
Hi there, whilst the O.P. suggests it is an EQ issue the wider issue is gain structure through the DAW mixer.

When mixing in a DAW whose internal resolution is at 32bit float or above with a 24bit fixed output there is absolutely no wrong in seeing your final mix peaks hit -12dBFS on the output meter. Whilst as a visual indication this may look low it it still has a noise floor in excess for 30dB improvement over 16bit CD's !

You may find your volume control is a little higher up as a consequence of this lower level mixing.

Now this takes a little planning in the mix gain staging so when you start your mixing try only peaking your kick drum at -18dBFS / -16dBFS on the stereo output when solo'd and as the mix builds up you will slowly see headroom being eaten into on your DAW master output. the more you mix like this the more you will know where your kick/bass needs to be at when you start mixing for your mix style. This also allows for EQ boosts as part of your overall mix EQ strategy.

The result is less chances of overs and clean 24bit output files ready for either DIY or professional mastering, it's a win, win situation.

Of course this may differ for those who mix into a limiter as part of the sound.

(P.S. I do not think it is reasonable to suggest that EQ boost is unacceptable during mixing, I appreciate where you are coming from but
rarely will you find a re-eq's source sample to re-intriduce into your mix)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom