Drum & Bass Levels too high

Discussion in 'Production' started by 1Dotlone, Apr 3, 2012.

1. 1Dotlone

1Dotlone New Member

Hi guys first of all hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been making dnb for a few years, mostly messing about but now I'm really getting into it, I record my cousins guitar and make rock/classical style dnb, stuff like that. I also enjoy experimental style like Rockwell.

Onto my current question, the levels in my mix are getting way to high. I have to turn down the master volume to 50% just so it doesn't overload. I hate compression, because I think it ruins dynamics of music (of course I use it on bass though). I don't know if my music is too complicated, I try to make it simple first with complex beat and bassline, but the levels still go too high.

Any help is appreciated!

P.S. Where can I post some of my tracks later to get some feedback?

-1dotlone

2. fractal

fractal Well-Known Member

turn everythin down man. as a benchline i try to get my kick and snare hitting at around -12db and sub similar depending on other elements. transient shapers are good to use on drums if youre not a fan of compressing

3. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

for feedback post in the new talent and track review section at the top of the production section..

just thought id say bass isnt the first thing i would think to apply a compressor to - so i find it interesting you say "of course"!!

but anyway u got to start turning everything down as you go along, dude - its all in the mixdown

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Yeah make sure nothing goes above 0db otherwise you'll get clipping. I tend to mixdown to anywhere between -6db to -3db maximum! Also make good use of panning and mono / stereo etc. These can help give sounds more space in the mix, thus resulting in the sounds not needing to be so loud in volume to get through. Again, good EQ work can also help give more space in the mix.

Definately get some stuff posted up in the new talent section so we can hear where you're going wrong, and hopefully point you in the right direction a little more.

5. 1Dotlone

1Dotlone New Member

Wow this forum sure is helpful! I definitely will start lowering levels...I think I'll put everything to 0 and start pushing them up individually. Then I may not have to compress! Also great tip on the transient shaper I will look into that. And I will be posting some songs for sure....I have a bunch, but they are such bad quality tho the tunes are good, may have to go through all my songs and redo things.

Thank you for your help!

-1DotLone

Woop quick edit, I work with Sennheiser hd 595 headphones a lot, and my other stereo is a vintage sony amp with some nice 3 way speakers...is it bad to mix with headphones, like will it color my sound and make it sound bad on other systems?

ah another edit: Wow i'm trying to mix drums at -12 db this is hard! It's at literally 1% volume!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  6. Dom!Reavers!

Dom!Reavers! Member

when working with everything at low volume just turn your speakers up! I mix on headphones too, theres nothing wrong with it and dont let anyone tell you otherwise, the tune in my sig i mixed down with headphones plus some referencing with other hifi speakers/monitors and it translates really well, so much so that when i went into a real studio and played it on mackies it sounded pretty even! its just a case of knowing how your tunes should sound on your headphones, a good way to get a feel for it is to reference your tunes with that of professional producers on your monitoring device, that way you should see your mixdowns improve greatly

7. 1Dotlone

1Dotlone New Member

Thanks Dom Reavers! Ya I'm really liking the low volume thing so far...dunno why no one ever mentioned that before, my levels were going so high no wonder it all sounded crap! I'm going to upload some of my best tunes tomorrow for sure. Awesome tune by the way!