Let's talk about dnb baby

Why no one now does this "middle ground " sound I have no idea as surely it would appeal to a more broader fan base.

maybe cause the scene is now so rigidly fragmented (oo-err that sounded clever) that kind of stuff would end up falling into no mans land? these days seems to me like if a tune is not X, Y or Z subgenre then no one really knows what to do with it.

just a theory...could be talking bollox there, lol. Break - Late Exclusive was one of my fav tunes from last year and I dont know exactly what subgenre it is...

I dunno just listen to whatever you like I guess. There's probably craptons of different styles or vibes within dnb whether past or present. Some of them are just possibly more obscure.

Last edited:
Also the whole middle ground of Drum & Bass doesn't really exist either, it's either jump up, Neuro or liquid/experimental.

The other sound I used to like was the stuff in between jump up and tech/neuro which years ago Total Science for instance were the kings of it.

Why no one now does this "middle ground " sound I have no idea as surely it would appeal to a more broader fan base.

I wouldn't agree with that. SPY is probably somewhere around liquid/neuro in this middle ground. Same for Rene LaVice. Actually there's a few Enei could be another. Eastcolors certainly as well. Maybe you'll like these here:

We have one of these threads every few months, don't we? Mostly the same kind of replies as well.

DnB is doing just fine and I'm sure it'll keep doing so. The only 'downside' I really have is that it's hard to choose what to listen to in this abundance of music.

I dont know what beatport's about since i don't use it but if tracks are based of popularity, then obviously they're not going to be so good. With regard to modern tunes I mighty come across new stuff totally by random (cause i waste so much time in the internet) and then go to their bandcamp or soundcloud or something. Believe it or not I actually have found out about lots of tunes and labels through itunes since it shows similar stuff that other people may have bought. I actually found out about a large majority of the dnb i know through itunes, including alot of classics

maybe cause the scene is now so rigidly fragmented (oo-err that sounded clever) that kind of stuff would end up falling into no mans land? these days seems to me like if a tune is not X, Y or Z subgenre then no one really knows what to do with it.

just a theory...could be talking bollox there, lol. Break - Late Exclusive was one of my fav tunes from last year and I dont know exactly what subgenre it is...

Maybe that tune is just Drum & Bass and no sub classification is required because he didn't aim it at a specific pigeon hole?

When poster above mentions middle ground, this is the kind of stuff I believe he means. Break isn't jump up, he isn't quite full on techy stuff but he sits somewhere in the middle and makes D&B.

I think the current state of dnb is it's healthy, for years I thought it had been dead and stale. It just turned out I had been looking in all the wrong places.

Maybe that tune is just Drum & Bass and no sub classification is required because he didn't aim it at a specific pigeon hole?

When poster above mentions middle ground, this is the kind of stuff I believe he means. Break isn't jump up, he isn't quite full on techy stuff but he sits somewhere in the middle and makes D&B.

This is exactly what I mean, there are not too many doing this in between stuff, imo it's the best.

This is exactly what I mean, there are not too many doing this in between stuff, imo it's the best.

To reminisce..... Sorry..... It takes me back to times of Hype B2B with Andy C around 1998. Their sets were full of middle ground stuff with extremes of all the other ends thrown in.

Blame the segregation and the reddit generation :)

liquid is slowly taking over and rightly so. sick of the bro dnb that I hear out all the time.
63272941.jpg

What is bro dnb. Is it dab drum and bass step?

Back
Top Bottom