"Let the music flow!"

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by JSDNB, Apr 20, 2011.

1. JSDNB

JSDNB Member

Hi all, I'm new to djing and got so much help from this community that I decided to open a new thread to request some new mixing tips.

Days ago I opened another thread about "knowing your tracks", since I thought that bar-counting and a good beatmatching were the only secrets/keys necessary to produce a good mix.
    Today I tried to doubledrop 2 tracks and I...Said hello to my new non-beatmatching & bar-counting music consciousness: that doubledrop was shit! :D ...For the first time I considered the importance of EQing.

Anyway I think this thread is about a very difficult topic: music taste.
    I already bought a bunch of mp3 that I like, but honestly I wouldn't know how to put a good mix together.

Have you got another method, maybe something more specific from the good old "practice, practice, practice!" one to help me?

Thank you very much for helping me,

JACK

2. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

Mixing in key is the way to go. It's not a must, but since you're begginer it may help you a lot. Here's the thing: http://mixedinkey.com/HowTo.aspx If you don't want to buy it, you can always check your tunes out on chemical-records.co.uk, because they use it to analyze tunes and you can see the key and bpm count in a release info. Just don't expect tunes to go off well together just because they are produced in the same key, it's also a matter of drum patterns and so on...this also means you can mix off the key aswell, but this requires a little bit of experience and trying out at home for yourself ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

list a few tracks that u have, if i have a couple of them, i'll find a sec and make u a vid of how i would mix them

4. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

mighty kind of u ted

5. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Why not just mix em together and remember the ones that sound wicked? Works for most people.

Keep mixing and matching tunes until you get a feel for what goes with what...it gets easier and easier.

6. charlie131

charlie131 Well-Known Member

to be honest buddy half the fun of mixing is trial and error.. the ammount of times in my head that i've thought two tunes would go really well together and then tried it and they sound like shizzle... the most satisfying feeling is working it out on your jay's and then banging the mix out to your friends like a boss !!

7. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Making a good track selection only comes with time, its something you cannot learn, its not like beat matching, you'll have to just keep pluggin away! MIK deffo helps on this front tho, ive found so many mixes i never woulda thought of using that, get it!

8. Olllie

Olllie Bom Bom Cloud

Few tips...

Don't just buy dancefloor anthems and play them back to back, it'll quickly sound boring as they will lose impact. You need some good rollers to pace out the mix.

Remember or write down good mixes... I find recording them and listening back helps me remember them.

When putting a mix together I find it helps to have an idea of where you want to start and end. Practice a good intro sequence, wing it in the middle, and try bring it to a logical conclusion. Think about when you want your set to peak. As for the winging it section, the more tunes you buy and the more mixes you remember, the easier it becomes.

Listen to lots of different mixes, get to learn the techniques and transitions, long blends, switches, double drops etc.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  9. JSDNB

JSDNB Member

First of all, I've got to thank you for your help: really appreciate it. :)

I think I'll work in several ways at the same time:
    -Improve my knowledge on my tracks (barcounting)
    -Improve my technique (tight beatmatching + lot of practice)
    -Improve my music knowledge (in Italy we say "do re mi fa sol la si" instead of "A B C D E F G" ;)) through MIK.

...I'll list some of my tracks asap. :)

Thanks again! :)

JACK