Legal requirements for sampling

Discussion in 'Production' started by cbfb, Aug 2, 2010.

1. cbfb

cbfb New Member

I want to sample a dancehall riddim quite heavily, does anyone know what the legal requirements are? Do I need to get permission from the owner? If so how do I go about this?

2. Wrigzilla

Wrigzilla broke but not broken

Are you planning to commercially release this track? If the answer is yes then you need to clear the sample first with the person who owns the copyright to the song. To make things more complicated there are two copyrights you need to worry about: the copyright for the sound recording and the copyright for the song your sampling.

If you clear a sample you'll most likely have to pay an upfront fee (for both copyrights) plus possibly a share of the royalties (depends how money grabbing the copyright holder is). You can do this by either directly contacting the copyright holder (once you've found who he/they is/are) or I think there are firms that specialize in legally clearing samples.

3. cbfb

cbfb New Member

Thanks Wrigzilla.

I'm new to producing so I think any plans to release it commercially might be a bit unrealistic... the most I'd hope for is sticking it on soundcloud or playing it out.

I've managed to find a contact at Universal Music who will apparently be able to help me. Will post the outcome.

Cheers

4. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

if ur not gonna release it or make any money from it i wouldnt worry mate sample away

5. cbfb

cbfb New Member

What I was thinking really. Chances of anyone from Universal hearing it are pretty damn slim.

6. Wrigzilla

Wrigzilla broke but not broken

Pretty much this in that case.

7. cbfb

cbfb New Member

Sweet, cheers for that.

8. H*product

H*product Heavyweight product

even if you do release it no one gives a shit unless you sell thousands of copys. we remixed herbalist by alborosie and put it out on our digi label, if they sue us i'll honestly be happy, the publicity is worth more than any tracks sales.

9. cbfb

cbfb New Member

Fine tune it is too, just had a listen.

Yeah f*ck it, won't worry about it. Prob wasn't a smart move telling the chick at Universal what I was up to tho but never mind.