LEARNING TO MIX

Jack Castell

Recently bought some decks,been interested in mixing dnb/jump up for a while now but i'm not really quite sure where to start learning!
Can anyone recommend any good tutorials,channels or really anyways to start learning,cheerssss

Recently bought some decks,been interested in mixing dnb/jump up for a while now but i'm not really quite sure where to start learning!
Can anyone recommend any good tutorials,channels or really anyways to start learning,cheerssss

Ellaskins on youtube is a good teacher, he got me past the pots and pans, clings and clangs stage!

I would say get 10 or 20 tunes that you like and practice mixing them together, practice beatmatching - it's hard to start with but gets better with practice.
Learn to count beats and bars as dnb is split into 16 bar sections and you can only drop your tunes every 16 bars. Last tip is to mix with your ears rather than any visuals.

Get to know your music thoroughly - learn when to drop a tune into another one. learn how to count your beats, learn to use ONLY your ears! start with say 6 tunes - learn them off by heart - start mixing only the 6 tunes together.

it will take ages until you feel like your getting somewhere - keep at it and just keep practicing. you will learn what tunes go well with what others out of the 6. start building up a music collection of tunes you really like - quality of quantity.

DONT USE SYNC!!!!

once you know your small collection of tunes it will be easier to pick out whether or not you need to pitch up or pitch down to keep them in sync. Also youtube or google will have shit loads of stuff to help.

Ellaskins on youtube is a good teacher, he got me past the pots and pans, clings and clangs stage!

I would say get 10 or 20 tunes that you like and practice mixing them together, practice beatmatching - it's hard to start with but gets better with practice.
Learn to count beats and bars as dnb is split into 16 bar sections and you can only drop your tunes every 16 bars. Last tip is to mix with your ears rather than any visuals.

Adding to this I'd suggest you ask someone you know who mixes to put a set of easy to mix tunes together for you. This will give you some solid tunes to roll out w/o having to wrestle with weird intros or drops.

Also, once you get your beats matched well start pulling them off beat/change pitch so you know know how to make corrections on the fly.

Go round anyones house who mixes and watch them like a hawk, go to clubs and do the same thing, that's what i did ;)

Put on a tune, put on another tune, use the pitch controls and the mixer to transition.

Repeat until it sounds good, then repeat until you're Andy C.

Realise that 99.9999% of Drum and bass tunes you are likely to be playing if you are into Jumpup are written at 174, 175 or 176 BPM and that a pitch movement of 0.6% will will speed a tune up or slow it down by 1 BPM, meaning that as long as you can count to four, and you can do your six times table without a calculator (two things you should have learned in primary school) you should be able to do it blindfolded by the end of the week.

Google "Sync button"

Nobody mixes anymore that's old skool. Just pretend you are while putting the gun finger in the air and at the same time gritting your teeth.

Don't forget to make hearts with your hands every once in a while

If it's jump up you like, then no mixing needed. Just pick a tune and loop it for 60 minutes. No-one will be able to tell.

and don't forget the ten nods per second

Im thinking who's the deleted member that liked my last post ?

Back
Top Bottom