Learning to mix/beatmatch

chiller

Hi

Right Ive just bought some new decks and have built up quite a record collection over the years (since 1996 to be precise) but I have never learnt how to mix/beatmatch d&b.
Ive heard various suggestions on how to mix like: use the snare, its easier to learn using 2step tunes, count bars, use the main drum and snare and so on. I was just wondering if anyone else has any tips on learning to mix.(yn)

Take two identical records, learn to use pitch and nudging to get them into beatmatching with each other. Then try two records with identical bpms but slightly different beats, i.e. from the same producer. Then try tracks with different bpms but with similar beats. Small steps.

Take two identical records, learn to use pitch and nudging to get them into beatmatching with each other. Then try two records with identical bpms but slightly different beats, i.e. from the same producer. Then try tracks with different bpms but with similar beats. Small steps.

surely u dont need to use the pitch to match two records if they are identical though

Nice one Ill give it a whirl. What part of the bar do I use as a marker to match with, the snares or the kicks :thumbsup:

I'm matching with the snare and am always thinking in my mind.. Also just try to pay attention to the track your playing.. If your familiar with the song and know where the breaks are use that to help you? I'm also just learning, but thats how i'm getting around..

and i guess try to do your next drop on the next record coming in right when the drop is gonna be on the one you got playing so you can cue it.

I'm matching with the snare and am always thinking in my mind.. Also just try to pay attention to the track your playing.. If your familiar with the song and know where the breaks are use that to help you? I'm also just learning, but thats how i'm getting around..

and i guess try to do your next drop on the next record coming in right when the drop is gonna be on the one you got playing so you can cue it.

Ahh right thank you - where on the Kick do you cue up from is it just in front of, in the middle of or just behind the Kick.

Thanks for all the reply so far.

Cheers

I still yet have been able to do and see for myself so I'm just giving input on whats been told to me.. Maybe someone else here can give us a good "breakdown"

Cool Cool

I got these below:

l_c2c26406b971f5435c215d1401839fef.jpg

I actually wanna switch them up for some reason.. Or maybe it's just because I have them put away. :shake:

did u not say two of the same records though??

why would you need the pitch to mix them cos they are the same.

i think i mis understood what u mean lol

You use the pitch to get the records into match. You slow down the record that is ahead, then you set the pitch to 0.

Its something you better learn as those Stantons of yours will not respond to nudging or spindle-holding. The motors are too powerful, twice as powerful as 1200s which you can nudge around! My Vestax simply shrugs off nudging and spindling - you hold the platter stationary or use the pitch for delicate adjustments.

Cool Cool

I got these below:

l_c2c26406b971f5435c215d1401839fef.jpg

I actually wanna switch them up for some reason.. Or maybe it's just because I have them put away. :shake:

They look like nice decks mate - what do you mean you want to switch them up?

Hows your mixing going btw

The decks are right next to me and the computer.. Perfect to practice and record and sorta get a feel of the mix matching, but now since my girl and I have switched up the place around.. I have no receiver available to use since it's all connected with the surround for the tv and dvd's. So now I need to maybe buy a good radio to practice.

Switch them up meaning wanting to go to technics

The decks are right next to me and the computer.. Perfect to practice and record and sorta get a feel of the mix matching, but now since my girl and I have switched up the place around.. I have no receiver available to use since it's all connected with the surround for the tv and dvd's. So now I need to maybe buy a good radio to practice.

Yeah thats a good idea to record your mix, thats what I do on tape.

Switch them up meaning wanting to go to technics

Lol thats exactly what I thought as soon as I bought my Stantons. I was like err should I have chosen the get technics instead, purely for the fact that they have been the industry standard for so long and everyone swears by them. Oh well sometimes its good to be happy with what you've got an I am, so its all good:thumbsup:

I'm of to practice now speak to you soon

Back
Top Bottom