Learning to drive

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Gumby, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Gumby

Gumby New Member

i just got home from a lesson and ive decided that i really really hate it. :(

i couldve got my lisence 6 years ago but i moved out home at a young age and have never had anyone to teach me. ive lived ok without a car but ive finally decided to take some lessons.

everyone says i should get a manual license but ive been practicing in an auto and im finding it really hard :( so i reckon i'd probably crash if i drove a manual. :-/

i hate driving so much. its really scary cos there are too many things to remember. its hard to control the speed and the steering and i feel like a complete bimbo behind the wheel. :twitchy: i get all flustered when i mess up... waaahhhh!! today i even got the brake and accelerator pedals mixed up. (n)

does it get easier or should i just quit before i kill someone?

:shake: :shake: :shake:

2. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

dont worry..driving is a difficult skill to master, and it takes a long time..even after you get your license, it will take a while to get entirely comfortable behind the wheel.
    ithe car plays an important role as well, as i assume you dont own one, so it will feel a bit alien territory to ya.
    even experienced driver find it difficult to adjust from car to car..
    my advice would be, learn on a manual. being more demanding than auto, you'll find it easier if you get to drive a auto later.
    are you doin official lessons, or learning with a mate?
    id say, get a friend with a car, (and loads of patience!!!), and find a quiet car park, or open space, and just go at it as often as possible. eventually you'll nail it, and enjoy the perks of motoring...

good thing youre liveing in the other side of the world..british roads are safe!!!

(only jokin tuts!!! :D:D:D)

3. 1992

1992 Novantadue

I always thought the handle was "Grumpy" but apparently its "Gumby". I think I wanted it to be "Grumpy" because I can relate to that.

4. 1992

1992 Novantadue

If you keep at it you will be a pro 10 years from now. In the mean time expect accidents and sky high insurance. Well thats what happened to me, everyones life is completely different.

5. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

I had plenty of problems learning but have never had an accident except when a tram hit me (you've heard about it).

Keep calm and everything will be fine. Experience is key.

6. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I'd just stick at it, I'd also learn a manual too unless you're really struggling with an auto a few weeks down the line.

If you're learning with a mate I'd personally switch to using a driving school, these people are (generally) patient and know what's wrong when you're having trouble doing or remembering something. Obviously it costs money, but I think its worth it in the long run, you don't want to be put off driving because of a few bad experiences.

Good luck Gumby! :)

7. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

you could always get a bicycle?! :teeth:

8. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Get a Segway!

[​IMG]

:teeth:

9. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

YES, YES, YES!! I want one!!!! :gslayer:

10. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

i think u need to just relax. lol

Hate to say this but automatics were designed for handicapped people and mothers with kids......so if they can do it, it shouldnt be a problem for you.

just take your time and keep practicing, a good place to go and get the hang of your car is a giant carpark i.e costco, at night tho, so theres no cars to hit (y)

11. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

It does get much easier. I find remembering to breath helps you stop getting flustered...

& I think you actually have less direct control in an Auto than a manual, so maybe try a driving school lesson in a manual? & see how that feels.

I had about 30 lessons, not that much other practise, and luckily passed 1st time. Haven't driven much since tho cos I don't have a car and get by OKish without.

I'm not that confident driving tbh, but that's partly to do with often driving with my Mum in the car and she's a bag of nerves as a passenger...

I had a final 2hr lesson on the way to my test & a dog ran out and I had to do an almost emergency stop, and just avoided hitting it. The rest of the 2hrs lesson I was shite, properly mounting kerbs and backing into bushes...

I was sure I'd fail my test after that...

During the test when I had to reverse round a corner I pulled into starting position by the curb but was parked all scewwed, & in no position to make the reverse.

Guess what happened?

A random dog came and lay in the road I was supposed to reverse into, so the examiner told me pull upto the next street and do it there instead...

Good doggy karma, I think!

(y)

12. Gumby

Gumby New Member

hahaha ive actually got one of these sitting in my driveway. i won it lol. [​IMG]

my mates have taken me out driving every now and then. i actually find that im more relaxed in their cars, cos theyre so terrified im gona hurt their car that they only get me to try really simple tasks.

i was upset yesterday cos i'd just had a paid lesson and the instructor had more confidence in my ability than i did. he pretty much just threw me in the deep end. it was scary.

thanks for all the advice. it feels nice knowing that it wont be difficult forever.

and i think i might get my manual license after all.

thanks!

13. Gumby

Gumby New Member

:lol: nice one :teeth:

so the moral of the story is, i should have my test near a dog pound after i have released several dogs! :D

14. mesh

mesh Active Member

Didn't get my license til 22, at 18 I failed my first test by 1/4 point and said fuck it cause I was inner city anyway.

I have no advice my dear lady, other than to drive with people who will help you, and good luck.

(Also I have had to postpone Perth trip due to unexpected shit. Gutted. On the plus side Deon is bringing Andy C to melbourne this weekend so it will be fun on Saturday night!!:miss_rep: )

15. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

Took me 35 lessons and 2 tests...do ya know how I passed it ? Went to VOODOO MAJIC at leicester Square London..( Started at 4am on Sunday morning)...got home aroun 3pm..went to bed ...woke up MASHED on Monday morning and went straight to the test...oh boy can I not remember that test....:jacko:

16. Gumby

Gumby New Member

ah well if you can get it at 22 than so can i.
    thats a shame about perth man. woo andy c! he's playing here on australia day!! :) have fun!

17. mesh

mesh Active Member

a wormate was telling me that he was having his driving exam; instructor in the passenger seat, and examiner in the back seat.
    At one point he and his instructor thought it was curious the examiner had stopped giving directions so they looked around and he was asleep, drooling in the backseat!!

passed with flying colours that boy did

edit - yep, there is hope for you yet!

18. Gumby

Gumby New Member

haha during my last lesson my instructor decided we should drive around bull creek. "left here, right here, right again... now pull over outside number 35"
    i realised we were outside his house when he got out of the car and disappeared inside for a short break.

tosser.

19. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Mine used to take me to his bank so he could quickly do his banking, ha!

20. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

I told my first instructor to fuck off shoved him on the floor and didn't pay him. He was a tosser so he deserved it
    :mad: